Problems configuring RRAS and VPN Server Windows 2008R2
I am having problems configuring rras/vpn server behind my firewall that does NAT, we also do not have a public domain address. I have a windows 2008 R2 Enterprise server that I want to accept ssl users from mac and windows xp and windows 7 clients and backwards compatibility with ipsec in case it's needed. I would like for my users to be able to access our sharepoint 2007 intranet and their desktops as well. My server does have 2 nics I tried configuring one nic kept as the private 192.x.x.x and the other nic to server as the public ip but each time I configure rras it takes up all the dhcp addresses and causes problems with my wireless access point. Does anybody have any articles or tips that I can try to get this working?
August 10th, 2010 5:18am

If you are behind a firewall you do not need two NICs in the RRAS server. You only need two NICs if you connect directly to the Internet (one NIC public, one NIC private). Behind a firewall the RRAS server has only a private NIC. Remote users connct to the firewall's public NIC an you forward the traffic to a server on the LAN through NAT. The default setting for an address pool is to lease addresses from DHCP. To avoid this, set up a static pool of addresses and reserve these addresses in the DHCP scope. Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 10th, 2010 6:53am

Hi, Thank you for your post here. As Bill mentioned, you don't need public NIC enabled on the RRAS server since you have the NAT firewall ahead. You may refer to Configure a Firewall for VPN Traffic section from the following article. Checklist: Installing and Configuring an RRAS VPN Server http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd469733(WS.10).aspx
August 10th, 2010 9:26am

Ok I am still having issues, is there a guide for setting up the ssl vpn server that would allow mac and windows xp users to vpn to my server 2008 r2 server?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 12th, 2010 7:49pm

Hi, Unfortunately, SSTP (SSL tunneling protocol) is not supported on Windows XP SP3. You will need Windows Vista/Windows 7 clients to connect to Windows Server 2008 R2 SSTP VPN server. SSTP Remote Access Step-by-Step Guide: Deployment http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731352(WS.10).aspx
September 2nd, 2010 12:42pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics