Problems browsing domain in My Network Places
I have a domain in which the only machine that is able to browse My Network Places/Entire Network/<DOMAIN> is the server which holds the Primary Domain Controller Role. The domain is made up of Windows Server 2003 servers with SP-2, and Windows XP Pro PCs with SP-3. When attempting to browse My Network Places with any computer besides the PDC the following error appears:<DOMAIN> is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.The list of servers for this workgroup is currently not availableI have verified that DNS and WINS are configured properly, and that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled. Any help with this problem would be appreciated.
January 13th, 2009 8:22pm

hi there, does computer browser service is started ? which will be my first question secondly when you browse my network place / entire network domain, on windows 2003 , are you able to see your server listed ?are these xp and windows 2003 are on same subnet or on different subnet ?can you paste nbtstat output of client and server ?sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 13th, 2009 10:22pm

Computer Browser service is startedSecond; yes, I can see the server listed when browsing from the serverAll computers are in the same subnetnbtstat output is below- nbtstat of server -Local Area Connection 5:Node IpAddress: [10.20.1.101] Scope Id: [] NetBIOS Local Name Table Name Type Status --------------------------------------------- CNBS-DATA <00> UNIQUE Registered CNBS <00> GROUP Registered CNBS <1C> GROUP Registered CNBS-DATA <20> UNIQUE Registered CNBS <1E> GROUP Registered CNBS <1D> UNIQUE Registered ..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered CNBS <1B> UNIQUE Registered Local Area Connection 4:Node IpAddress: [10.20.1.100] Scope Id: [] NetBIOS Local Name Table Name Type Status --------------------------------------------- CNBS-DATA <00> UNIQUE Registered CNBS <00> GROUP Registered CNBS <1C> GROUP Registered CNBS-DATA <20> UNIQUE Registered CNBS <1E> GROUP Registered CNBS <1B> UNIQUE Registered RAS Server (Dial In) Interface:Node IpAddress: [10.20.1.116] Scope Id: [] NetBIOS Local Name Table Name Type Status --------------------------------------------- CNBS-DATA <00> UNIQUE Registered CNBS <00> GROUP Registered CNBS <1C> GROUP Registered CNBS-DATA <20> UNIQUE Registered CNBS <1E> GROUP Registered CNBS <1D> UNIQUE Registered ..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered CNBS <1B> UNIQUE Registered -nbtstat of client -Local Area Connection:Node IpAddress: [10.20.1.88] Scope Id: [] NetBIOS Local Name Table Name Type Status --------------------------------------------- CNBSXP01W <00> UNIQUE Registered CNBS <00> GROUP Registered CNBSXP01W <20> UNIQUE Registered CNBS <1E> GROUP Registered Thanks
January 14th, 2009 7:17pm

hi there,the problem is that your clients are unable to get 1B record which belongs to domain and the domain controller which actually announces itself as domain master browser.is this happening only on single client ? or all the clients.questions-------------a) i believe your client is in the workgroup ? and is this issue happenign with all clients in workgroup ? or is this specific to single client ?b) as far as my experience goes , you do not need any configuration on workgroup clients, all that you need to configure is wins server ip address.c) is this issue happenign with clients connected to domain ?d) also would like to scavenge wins database and restart all clients which are in workgroup .sainath Windows Driver Development
January 15th, 2009 9:41am

In response to your questions below.Sainath Into Driver Development said:questions-------------a) i believe your client is in the workgroup ? and is this issue happenign with all clients in workgroup ? or is this specific to single client ?All clients are actually in a domain, and this issue is occurring with all clients in the domain.b) as far as my experience goes , you do not need any configuration on workgroup clients, all that you need to configure is wins server ip address.WINS is properly configured for all client PCs via DHCP.c) is this issue happenign with clients connected to domain ?See answer to a) above.d) also would like to scavenge wins database and restart all clients which are in workgroup .This has been done, but did not fix the problem.Is there anything else I can try?Thanks sainath Windows Driver Development
January 15th, 2009 5:30pm

hi there,configuratin wins via dhcp is a new information which might be suspicious.i would request a netmon or ethreal capture to see wins failure / or queriying domain master browser announcements.another best troubleshootng is to create an LMHOST file and enable LMHOST lookup on tcp/ip properties.sainath Windows Driver Development
January 15th, 2009 8:37pm

The basic problem is that you have a multhomed DC. This causes all sorts of odd problems, especially with name resolution and browsing. You need to turn off Netbios over TCP/IP on all interfaces except the LAN NIC. KB 292822 outlines some of the problems and fixes for this. Bill
January 16th, 2009 12:35pm

hi bill,that was a good catch, great ! , but we can still use LMHOST with multi interface, ( i was under that assumption that with LMHOST we can still achieve ) ?sainath Windows Driver Development
January 16th, 2009 2:00pm

Disabling the 2nd NIC in the DC fixed the problem. Thanks for your help gentlemen.
January 20th, 2009 6:09pm

Disabling the second NIC worked for me as well. Here is a question.....WHY?
May 17th, 2011 12:35am

Because having two IP addresses associated with the same Netbios name confuses the browser service. If a machine tries to get a browse list using the "wrong" IP address the query will fail . The client assumes that browsing is not active and and forces a browser election. You can probably solve the problem just by disabling Netbios over TCP/IP rather than disabling the NIC altogether. Bill
May 17th, 2011 3:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics