Problems With DHCP Domin Computer Using Netgear Firewall as gateway

Hello. I am using 2008R2 Server in a domain. I am running the DHCP server on the 2008R2 Server and I have a Netgear Firewall used as the Gateway. I am not able to get DHCP to my desktops. If I manually put in the Ipaddresses and Gateway and dns I am able to connect to the Domain and the Internet. If I use DHCP on the desktops, I am not able to access the web.  How do I fix this so that all of my desktop may use DHCP?

Thank you,Gil

April 28th, 2015 3:13pm

Open ports to allow DHCP and clients to comminicate and assign address. There are know ports for DHCP and Active Directory as well. Technet gives the following info

https://technet.microsoft.com/cs-cz/library/dd772723(v=ws.10).aspx

If the problem persists, use network monitor to pinpoint the cause.

Regards

Milos

PS: Allow for only one DHCP, namely this that is "connected" to AD (DC). Avoid public DNS IP.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 28th, 2015 3:28pm

Hi  Tillamook ,

Would you please provide more detailed information of your network topology ?It will help to solve the problem .

First ,we need to ensure our DHCP server has been authorized and scope activated .

Here is the guide for deploying DHCP :

Deploying DHCP Server :
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd296632%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If firewall is between DHCP server and clients ,we need to allow ports on firewall .

DHCP uses UDP ports 67 and 68 to initiate communication between the client and server .We need to enable the two ports on firewall .

Best Regards,

Leo

April 29th, 2015 9:55am

Thank you.  The DHCP server is on the Domain Controller.  It is Authorized and the scope is activated.  I checked the firewall settings.  They are also correct.  I am still not able to DHCP on the clients.  The network is composed of 1 2008R2 Server in a Domain.  there are 8 clients to the server in the domain.  Anything else more specific?

I have to manually input the Ip settings:  Ip address Submask  Gateway(Firewall) and dns (Domain Controller IP In first dns server address)(Firewall IP address for second dns address to go out to the internet)

Thank you,

Gil Davis

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 5th, 2015 5:23pm

Hi  Tillamook ,

We need to ensure the DHCP Client service on client is running and startup type is automatic.

We could use network monitor to analyze the problem.

Install and open network monitor on DHCP server, and start capture frames. Then, we could request an IP address on client.

1. Set the computer to use DHCP.
  2. Open Command Prompt and type ipconfig /renew.
  3. Analyze the frames on server to check the process.

Here is the guide for network monitor :
Network Monitor :

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938655.aspx

Best Regards,

Leo

May 5th, 2015 9:50pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics