Problems Installing SQL Server 2012 Express on Windows 7 PC

Attempting to install Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express Edition on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit computer.

During the installation process the following error is displayed...

SQL Server Setup

An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)

LinkID: 20476

Product Name: Microsoft SQL Server

Message Source: setup.rll

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Plan to install Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Express also after this if this has any barring on how I should be installing this product.

Thanks

Colin

August 19th, 2013 12:04pm

Attempting to install Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express Edition on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit computer.

During the installation process the following error is displayed...

SQL Server Setup

An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)

LinkID: 20476

Product Name: Microsoft SQL Server

Message Source: setup.rll

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Plan to install Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Express also after this if this has any barring on how I should be installing this product.

Thanks

Colin

Is this just the message your are getting?. This seems to me an .Net issue.

Please refer to hardware and software requirement also for 2012 express.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx

Remove your .net framework and install fresh .net framework 3.5 Sp1

Make sure you follow this

.NET 3.5 SP1 is a requirement for SQL Server 2012 when you select Database Engine, Reporting Services, Master Data Services, Data Quality Services, Replication, or SQL Server Management Studio, and it is no longer installed by SQL Server Setup.

• If you run Setup on a computer with the Windows Vista SP2 or Windows Server 2008 SP2 operating system, and you do not have .NET 3.5 SP1, SQL Server Setup requires you to download and install.NET 3.5 SP1 before you can continue with the SQL Server installation. The error message includes a link to the download center, or you can download .NET 3.5 SP1 from Windows Update. To avoid interruption during SQL Server Setup, you can download and install .NET 3.5 SP1 before you run SQL Server Setup.

• If you run Setup on a computer with the Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 operating system, you must enable .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 before you install SQL Server 2012.

• If you run Setup on a computer with the Windows Server 2012 or Windows 8 operating system, the SQL Server Setup automatically downloads and installs the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. This process requires internet access.

If there is no internet access, it is required to download and install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 before you run Setup to install any of the above mentioned components. For more information about the recommendations and guidance on how to acquire and enable .NET Framework 3.5 in Windows Server 2012 or Windows 8, see Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Deployment Considerations (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/hardware/hh975396).

.NET 4.0 is a requirement for SQL Server 2012. SQL Server installs .NET 4.0 during the feature installation step.

• If you are installing the SQL Server Express editions, ensure that an Internet connection is available on the computer. SQL Server Setup downloads and installs the .NET Framework 4 because it is not included in the SQL Server Express media.

• SQL Server Express does not install .NET 4.0 on the Server Core mode of Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 or Windows Server 2012. You must install .NET 4.0 before you install SQL Server Express on a Server Core installation of Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 or Windows Server 2012.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 19th, 2013 12:27pm

Thanks for your reply - I'm installing Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express on a Windows 7 64-bit computer should I pre-install .NET 3.5 or .NET 4.0 ? - not 100% sure on this from your reply.

I've uninstalled .NET 4.5 from my machine and will install 3.5 or 4.0 based on what you believe I should reinstall.

Thanks, Colin

August 19th, 2013 12:43pm

Thanks for your reply - I'm installing Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express on a Windows 7 64-bit computer should I pre-install .NET 3.5 or .NET 4.0 ? - not 100% sure on this from your reply.

I've uninstalled .NET 4.5 from my machine and will install 3.5 or 4.0 based on what you believe I should reinstall.

Thanks, Colin

Hello,

It seems you are not reading my comment properly.

.Net 3.5 SP1 is required ,install it before proceeding.This is corrupted in your case so uninstall it first

.NET 4.0 is a requirement for SQL Server 2012. SQL Server installs .NET 4.0 during the feature installation step.

• If you are installing the SQL Server Express editions, ensure that an Internet connection is available on the computer. SQL Server Setup downloads and installs the .NET Framework 4 because it is not included in the SQL Server Express media.

August 19th, 2013 12:54pm

I've tried several times to install .NET 3.5 but during the installation it tells me this program may have not installed correctly and prompts me to re-install with correct settings - which I do and nothing happens!

Checked the installed programs list and .NET 3.5 does not appear - there is currently no .NET versions installed on my computer.

August 19th, 2013 1:43pm

Checking the internet for the .NET 3.5 issue with Window 7 - it appears .NET 3.5 is part of Windows 7 - which is why I can't install it... I believe my re-install with correct setting should have resolved any corruption (not sure if this is the case!) - attempted to install SQL Server Express again - same error.

August 19th, 2013 1:52pm

I've re-downloaded the SQL Server package and attempted to re-install this again. Same Error!

This is becoming incredible frustrating - no real answers searching the web on this problem - nothing conclusive anyway. The closest issues which are similar to my problems the individuals appear to have given up and not been able to install - this does not shine a particularly good light on Microsoft products!!

Any additional ideas would be very much appreciated.

Can't believe I've spent almost an entire day trying to install this software! 

I only want to try and learn SQL Server - didn't think the installation would be the thing that defeats me!  :o( 

August 19th, 2013 3:46pm

Hi Colin,

As Shanky post, according to hardware and software requirement, before we installing SQL Server 2012 Express, we need to ensure you have downloaded and installed Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and Windows Installer 4.5.

There are some steps for reinstalling SQL Server Express , you can refer to the following points.
1. Uninstall any previous SQL Server 2012 Express components (setup files, registry items, etc.),
2. Download and install Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 from here.
3. Download and install Windows Installer 4.5 from here.
4. Install VS 2012
5. Install VS 2012 SP1
6. Redownload SQL Server 2012 Express installer
7. Right click installer and run as administrator.

In addition, if this not work, could you please help us to collect the detailed error message and the following error log? It is very useful for our research.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\<YYYYMMDD_HHMM>\Detail.txt

There are more details about uninstalling SQL Server, you can review the steps (provided by Yu yoyo).
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/4d6158a1-b601-428c-aad4-a1716e76de1a/install-sql-server-problem

Thanks,
Sofiya Li

August 20th, 2013 6:59am

Has anyone got a solution to this issue, I am facing the same issue......My SQL 2012 was working perfectly fine, however I had stopped the SQL service and whenever I try to restart it I get the message error 1053, I then I uninstalled .net framework and re installed still no use, then tried to uninstall SQL or repair it I always get the exception from HRESULT 0x8007000B error as shown in this thread, please any help would be great..this is getting really frustrating and have run out of options to try!
August 10th, 2015 8:46pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics