Problem with page size when using redirected printer

I have a customer who connects to another customer's network via VPN, then logs into and RDS server running Server 2012.

This customer then opens an Excel file and tries to print it out to a printer that is local to her and of course shows as redirected when looking at Devices and Printers in her login on the RDS server.

The problem is that when going to File / Print on the Excel document, the page size is listed as Custom Size and if you try to select any other size from the list, it won't accept it and stays at custom size. If she selects another redirected local printer, she can choose whatever page size she wants.

This is not selecting the paper size. She can change that on either redirected printer. So when she is trying to print an Excel file on legal size paper, the print comes out reduced as if it is trying to print on letter size paper even though legal size paper is selected.

I hope my description is clear enough. If not, please let me know and I'll try to explain further. So I'm trying to find how to fix this one redirected printer (a Brother MFC-7860DW) so that she can change the page size so when the document prints it occupies the full sheet of legal size paper.

April 22nd, 2015 7:54pm

Is there is a difference in printer driver for working and non-working redirected printers? If yes, can you match it?

Do you see the same behavior if you use Generic Text Only inbox driver?

Thanks

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 22nd, 2015 8:41pm

I resolved the issue by mapping a drive to the server share while the VPN is connected. The user then opens the file on her PC rather than logging in to the RDS server and so uses the printer on her PC instead of the redirected one on the server.

April 24th, 2015 4:44pm

Hi Jonathan,

Glad to hear that the issue is solved!

Thank you very much for sharing, your solution is very beneficial to other people who have similar issues.

Please feel free to let us know if you encounter any issues in the future.

Best Regards,

Amy

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 3rd, 2015 11:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics