Problem with mpseal.exe referencing an MPB file

Is the mpseal.exe that came with scom 2012 R2 (dated 9/6/2013) capable of sealing a management pack that contains references to management packs that are included as only MPB files?

I get a missing reference error when sealing a management pack referencing Microsoft.SystemCenter.Visualization.Component.Library for which I have the mpb (version 7.1.10226.1015) in the INCLUDE directory.

Here is what is reporting the error:

mpseal.exe .\managementpackname.xml /I {pathtoMPandMPBfiles} /Keyfile {pathToKeyfile}

: Verification failed with 1 errors:
-------------------------------------------------------
Error 1:
Found error in 2|managementpackname|32.2014.1023.1045|managementpackname|| with message:
Could not load management pack [ID=Microsoft.SystemCenter.Visualization.Component.Library, KeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, Version=7.1.10226.0]. The management pack was not found in the store.
Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.ObjectNotFoundException: An object of class ManagementPack with name Microsoft.SystemCenter.Visualization.Component.Library was not found.
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.AggregateStoreManagementPackManagement.GetManagementPack(String name, String keytoken, Version version)
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Configuration.ManagementPackReference.GetManagementPack()

Could not load management pack [ID=Microsoft.SystemCenter.Visualization.Component.Library, KeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, Version=7.1.10226.0]. The management pack was not found in the store.

The mpb file outputs the following:

PS S:\> Get-SCManagementPack -BundleFile S:\Microsoft.SystemCenter.Visualization.Component.Library.mpb|select *

Name                  : Microsoft.SystemCenter.Visualization.Component.Library
TimeCreated           : 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM
LastModified          : 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM
KeyToken              : 31bf3856ad364e35
Version               : 7.1.10226.1015
Id                    : 023b4b11-a20c-1b7f-34e1-bd49276c10b1
Identifier            : 2|Microsoft.SystemCenter.Visualization.Component.Library/31bf3856ad364e35|7.1.10226.1015|Micros
                        oft.SystemCenter.Visualization.Component.Library||
VersionId             : 83a836b1-e65b-fe42-6d1c-99bba0591e67
References            : {ManagementPack:[Name=Microsoft.SystemCenter.Visualization.ServiceLevelComponents,
                        KeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, Version=7.1.10226.0], ManagementPack:[Name=System.Library,
                        KeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, Version=7.5.8500.0],
                        ManagementPack:[Name=Microsoft.SystemCenter.Visualization.Library, KeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35,
                        Version=7.1.10226.0], ManagementPack:[Name=Microsoft.SystemCenter.Image.Library,
                        KeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, Version=7.1.10226.0]...}
Sealed                : True
ContentReadable       : True
FriendlyName          : Component Library Management Pack
DisplayName           :
Description           :
DefaultLanguageCode   : ENU
ActiveLanguageCode    :
LockObject            : System.Object
Store                 : DevGroup0
SchemaVersion         : 2.0
OriginalSchemaVersion : 2.0
Registry              : Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Configuration.ExtensionRegistry
Extensions            : Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Configuration.ExtensionManagement
LifetimeManagers      : Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.LifetimeManagerTypeRegistry
Features              : Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.FeatureContainer
ImageReferences       : Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Configuration.IO.SingleManagementPackStore_ImageReferences
EntityTypes           : Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.SingleManagementPackEntityTypeManagement
ManagementPacks       : Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.SingleManagementPackManagement
Presentation          : Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.SinglePresentationManagement
Monitoring            : Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.SingleManagementPackMonitoringConfigurationManagement
DerivedTypes          : Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Configuration.IO.SingleManagementPackStore_DerivedTypes

The managementpackname.xml file is what I want to seal.  It contains some dashboard visuals so it has references to the above management pack.   Here is a snipet of the xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><ManagementPack ContentReadable="true" SchemaVersion="2.0" OriginalSchemaVersion="1.1" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
  <Manifest>
    <Identity>
      <ID>mmm.App.ADFS.Core</ID>
      <Version>32.2014.1023.1045</Version>
    </Identity>
    <Name>managementpackname</Name>
    <References>
      <Reference Alias="SystemCenter2">
        <ID>Microsoft.SystemCenter.Visualization.Component.Library</ID>
        <Version>7.1.10226.0</Version>
        <PublicKeyToken>31bf3856ad364e35</PublicKeyToken>
      </Reference>

One way to fix this is to locate the *.mp file for this mpb and put that in my INCLUDE directory, but I cannot find that *.mp file.

Is this fixed with a new version of mpseal.exe?  Worst case, I will pull out the dashboard stuff from this management pack and leave it unsealed.  I use sealed management packs as a way to ensure the version from one management group to another is the

October 23rd, 2014 9:08pm

Hi,

Can you try sealing the MP using the Old R2 authoring tools? try it out http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18222

In addition, please also go through the below article:

http://www.opsmanager.se/2011/12/22/mpseal-error/

Regards,

Yan Li

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 24th, 2014 1:29am

I am sure the SCOM 2007 R2 version of the mpseal.exe utility does not work with MPB files. The MPB file format came out with SCOM 2012.

I think the only options are any of the following:

1) If there is a new version of mpseal.exe that is able to open mpb files?

2) Get a copy of the sealed management pack, *.mp, for Microsoft.SystemCenter.Visualization.Component.Library (version 7.1.10226.1015) and locate it in the INCLUDE directory.

3) Rip out the reference to that management pack from the unsealed management pack xml file I am trying to seal.  I would have to do this every time I have edited and save a new version of the xml file.

October 29th, 2014 3:41pm

Hi,

A bundled management pack (.mpb) file in System Center 2012  Service Manager includes several management pack (.mp) files. In addition, it might include references to resources, such as an image or a form assembly. To customize a .mpb file, you must access and customize the individual files in the bundle.

In this version of the System Center 2012  Service Manager Authoring Tool, you cannot directly open an .mpb file to access its individual files. Instead, you must manually unbundle the .mpb file and store all the .mp, .xml, and other resource files in a single folder that is accessible to the Authoring Tool. Then, you can open and customize the individual files in the Authoring Tool in the same manner that you customize other management packs. After you complete the customizations, you have to rebundle the files and generate a new .mpb management pack file.

More details:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh519649.aspx

Regards,

Yan Li

October 30th, 2014 2:10am

It still does not work to seal an XML management pack that references a management pack located within an MPB file. 

I tried to unbundle the management pack, Microsoft.SystemCenter.Visualization.Component.Library,  from the corresponding mpb file which exported only as an XML file.  I located the xml file in both the same location as the source xml file and in the include directory.  Maybe it would work if the management pack within the mpb file was an MP file rather than an XML file.

The XML management pack that I am trying to seal contains dashboard views.

This is a bug and not resolved with the current set of tools.

: Verification failed with 1 errors:
Error 1:
Found error in 2|mymanagementpack|32.2014.1105.1340|mymanagementpack|| with message:
Could not load management pack [ID=Microsoft.SystemCenter.Visualization.Component.Library, KeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, Version=7.1.10226.1015]. The management pack was not found in the store.
Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.ObjectNotFoundException: An object of class ManagementPack with name Microsoft.SystemCenter.Visualization.Component.Library was not found.
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.AggregateStoreManagementPackManagement.GetManagementPack(String name, String keytoken, Version version)
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Configuration.ManagementPackReference.GetManagementPack()

November 5th, 2014 8:19pm

Hi Ted,

I'm facing the same issue - trying to seal SCOM managemnet pack with dashboards.

Found error in Exchange2010.Dashboard with message:
Could not load management pack [ID=Microsoft.SystemCenter.Visualization.Component.Library, KeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, Version=7.0.9538.1117]. The management pack was not found in the store.

1) have you found a solution?

2) have you tried to use fastseal instead?

Thanks!

Alex

November 7th, 2014 7:38pm

I have not sealed it.

In fact, I have had problems just saving an unsealed management pack (xml), deleting it in SCOM and then importing it. This only happens with the dashboard components reporting after the import that "the dashboard view has been deleted or no longer exists".  I will probably post another item about that particular issue. 

The only workaround for sealing the management pack with dashboard views is to edit the exported management pack (xml) and remove the reference to the Microsoft.SystemCenter.Visualization.Component.Library management pack.  This should get past the sealing issue. The import should work assuming that the removed referenced management pack is actually imported.

November 7th, 2014 7:55pm

Use Fastseal rather than MPSeal. It bypasses the check. This is in effect what VS does.
December 4th, 2014 8:58pm

Thanks for the insight here. I was able to use this, along with the following post to figure this out:

http://scsmnz.net/sealing-a-management-pack-using-fastseal-exe/

Basically, I didn't use fastseal, but I did use the article to get the new public key token from the key pair I was using and then replace the <ManagementPackPublicKeyToken> for the management pack that was being referenced in the management pack that I was getting the error on when trying to seal it.

In a nutshell (from above article):

Extract the public key from your new snk into a second new snk:
sn -p yourkey.snk yourpublickey.snk

Get the readable public key token from the second file:
sn -tp yourpublickey.snk > yourpublickeytoken.txt

The last line of the txt file will say something like Public key token is c2e33c3aa46ba97e. You need this value in your Management Pack.

Note that sn.exe switches are case sensitive.

Edit the XML for the management pack you are trying to seal and replace the value between the following tags with the new public key token you found above (make sure it is the one associated with the <ManagementPackName> for the MP that is being referenced, there might be more than one and if you edit the wrong one you'll just cause more problems):

<ManagementPackPublicKeyToken>OldTokenHere-RefencedInError</ManagementPackPublicKeyToken>

Save, and then you should be able to seal it.

Hope that helps.

April 3rd, 2015 2:57pm

Thanks for the insight here. I was able to use this, along with the following post to figure this out:

Basically, I didn't use fastseal, but I did use the article to get the new public key token from the key pair I was using and then replace the <ManagementPackPublicKeyToken> for the management pack that was being referenced in the management pack that I was getting the error on when trying to seal it.

The last line of the txt file will say something like Public key token is c2e33c3aa46ba97e. You need this value in your Management Pack.

Edit the XML for the management pack you are trying to seal and replace the value between the following tags with the new public key token you found above (make sure it is the one associated with the <ManagementPackName> for the MP that is being referenced, there might be more than one and if you edit the wrong one you'll just cause more problems):

<ManagementPackPublicKeyToken>OldTokenHere-RefencedInError</ManagementPackPublicKeyToken>

Hope that helps.

April 3rd, 2015 6:54pm

Hope that helps.

April 3rd, 2015 6:54pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics