Problem with library server

Having problem to add a second Library server to my system. The system looks like this:

One Storage Cluster With one node thats created With VMM.
One Hyper-V cluster that runs VMM, AD and SQL.
Everything is Connected on the same physical network, With two 1GB network Cards teamed on each host.

The Storage node has the name "Storage" and the SOFS role has the name "StorageFile", and when I try to add "StorageFile" as a Library server it goes ok until I try to refresh it, then I get this error:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error (2917)
Virtual Machine Manager cannot process the request because an error occurred while authenticating Storage.jalla.lan. Possible causes are:
1) The specified user name or password are not valid.
2) The Service Principal Name (SPN) for the remote computer name and port does not exist.
3) The client and remote computers are in different domains and there is not a two-way full trust between the two domains.
The network path was not found (0x80070035)

Recommended Action
Log in by using an account on the same domain as the VMM management server, or by using an account on a domain that has a two-way full trust with the domain of the VMM management server, and then try the operation again. If this does not work, purge the Kerberos tickets on the VMM management server by using kerbtray.exe, available at  Then, reset the SPN for Storage.jalla.lan by using setspn.exe. If this still does not fix the problem, make Storage.jalla.lan a member of a workgroup instead of a domain, restart the computer, rejoin the domain, and then try the operation again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems like it try to refresh the path Storage.jalla.lan instead of storagefile.jalla.lan.

The Second problem is if I try to use the standard VMM Library server, and I make a Template from a computer stored on the VM share all the traffic goes to the VMM machine and back to the other Storage, and very slow also.

Anyone got a idea ?

March 5th, 2014 5:43am

SOFS servers (SMB3.0 for server application) is not supporeted as library server in general in VMM. A library server should only have a normal file share, accessed by VMM.

So please don't mix a share for library resources together with VHDx's for your virtual machines. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 5th, 2014 7:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics