Problem with iSCSI Initiator Chap secret more than 16 characters
Hi at all, In Windows Server 2008 using Microsoft iSCSI Initiator software with Chap authentication I notice that not accept Chap secret with more than 16 characters and appear next error message: "Target CHAP secret is not valid. The maximum CHAP secret size is 16 bytes and the minimum is 12 if nos using IPSec" These configuration is applied in Microsoft iSCSI Initiator: Initiator name: iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:veeam CHAP mutual secret: (Password with 19 characters) Portal: 10.1.1.100 Port: 3260 Target name: iqn.1986-03.com.sun:02:3e2eb0b6-88ce-e9f0-ba24-92cb63b531b0 Selected flag to start session CHAP User name: chap CHAP initiator secret: (Password with 24 characters) Selected flag to mutual authentication Please, how I resolve this problem with Microsoft iSCSI Initiator? Best regards, David López
July 22nd, 2011 8:18am

Reduce the CHAP mutual secret password down to 16 from 19? and the initiator secret down to 16 also? Seems to be what your error message is saying.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 22nd, 2011 9:10am

Hi at all, Thanks for you reply Jason. Is not possible to change passwords for CHAP mutual secret and CHAP initiator secret because these password are configured on a NAS Storage in production. I need configure Microsoft iSCSI Initiator for access to this NAS Storage. Please, how I resolve this problem with Microsoft iSCSI Initiator? Exist any workaround or upgrade software to resolve this problem with Microsoft iSCSI Initiator? Best regards, David López
July 22nd, 2011 9:48am

Hi at all, About this problem in the links below of Microsoft Technet don't see any specification limits with both initiator an target CHAP secret, ONLY with CHAP user name has a limit of 223 characters. After searching an explanation about this problem I find in release notes of Microsoft iSCSI Software Initiator Version 2.08 the next comment: * Both initiator and target CHAP secrets should be greater than or equal to 12 bytes, and less than or equal to 16 bytes if IPsec is not being used. It should be greater than 1 byte and less than or equal to 16 bytes if IPsec is being used. (8 bits = 1 byte = 1 character) 1) I don't understand why all of executable file names in next link: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=18986 when execute any of them always shows next error message: "Setup Error: Setup could not find the update.inf file needed to update your system". In fact seems that anybody detect this bug after upload all of executable file names. 2) I don't understand why application of Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Software has these design limits with both initiator an target CHAP secret, although with CHAP user name has a limit of 223 characters. In my NAS Storage configuration both initiator an target CHAP secret has more than 16 characters and function correctly in production environment with third-party virtualization environment, but I don't configure it on application of Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Software because exist these design limits. Best regards, David López
July 22nd, 2011 10:28am

David, here are a couple articles that may help. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee338480(WS.10).aspx http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771740.aspx https://forums.openfiler.com/viewtopic.php?id=1726 I don't know what storage NAS you are using, but I see several manufactures indicate that a "driver" package is mentioned being installed on some client machines before you configure the iSCSI.
July 22nd, 2011 10:56am

Hi at all, Thanks for your reply AshtoshS[MSFT]. 1. You're right because this days I'm trying to execute a Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Version 2.08 in both O.S. Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 with unsuccessful result, but yesterday evening finally I achive execute this application in O.S. Windows XP. In fact I would upgrated an actual version of this application in Windows Server 2008 but seem it's not possible. 2. I would more appreciate if you will found a hotfix or workaround to resolve this problem, because I supose this problem affect a lot of customers using Microsoft iSCSI Initiator with a similar iSCSI configuration like my company. Best regards, David López
July 22nd, 2011 1:08pm

Hi at all, Thanks for these interesting links. During this morning I have been reviewed links with information of Microsoft iSCSI Initiator but I didn't find the reason of error message indicate below and related information of trobleshooting issues yet. I using Storage NAS Sun Series 7100 in production and it's configured correctly with CHAP user name, passwords for CHAP mutual secret and CHAP initiator secret. Although I didn't understand the limitation with maximun CHAP secret size in 16 characters using Microsoft iSCSI Initiator because the passwords for for CHAP mutual secret and CHAP initiator secret are correct. Since next link: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=18986 is possible download latest Microsoft iSCSI Software Initiator Version 2.08 but when execute an setup appear next error message: "Setup Error: Setup could not find the update.inf file need to update your system" Please, how I upgrade the latest Microsoft iSCSI Software Initiator Version 2.08? Someone was the same problem and how to resolve it with a workaround or fix? Which other free software I can use as iSCSI Software Initiator? Best regards, David López
July 22nd, 2011 1:38pm

David, I was doing some further reading and it appears not so much a MS iscsi adapter (true, it would be nice to see more bells and whistles added onto it) but it appears to be the SUN Storage. I don't know when SUN is planning to fix thier firmware of the 7100's. I do see where other freenas implementations have had to recode thier handling of iscsi overall. I read and talked to a guy i know about using: http://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind They had some success with this. Or. What other information leads to is the disabling of chap on the 7100. Then the native 2008 ms iscsi should work. The well is dry here on what next, I would definitly call and report this issue with Sun, apparently alot of folks have been pressing this with them. -- :P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
July 22nd, 2011 1:50pm

David, hmm... tough call, I would open a case with the MS tech support, they may have a fix, or access to hotfixes and information we don't have on their internal KB tools. I would also contact SUN and get on their support guys, I have a 7100 in my lab where I am at and it's humming along without issues, it's connecting to XP, Windows 7, server 2003 and 2008 and 2008 r2 servers and part of it is allocated to a VM datastore, all running with no issues... (well almost, those pesky dev guys keep filling up the drives with fluff test data)
July 22nd, 2011 2:45pm

Hi at all, Since more than six months in my company we're using a production infraestructure between NAS Storage Sun 7100 Series and third-party virtualization environment configured with CHAP security secret that function correctly. This morning afterwards to configure Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Software then checking the configuration apply, it's appear an error message with pre-defined limits and not with wrong CHAP security secret. Well, this error message shows with Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Software not with Sun Sofware because actual production infraestructure function correctly. Also, I didn't understand why link for download the latest latest Microsoft iSCSI Software Initiator Version 2.08 is wrong. In fact it seem that I will use other free software like as iSCSI Software Initiator. Best regards, David López
July 22nd, 2011 4:30pm

Hi David, 1. The download link mentioned by you is not applicable for srv08 OS being used by you. And this explains why you are getting the error while trying to install them. Please note from srv08 onwards, the iscsi initiator is inbox and no separate installation is needed. As per the link, the package is applicable only for Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows Server 2003 R2 (32-Bit x86), Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter Edition (32-Bit x86), Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition (32-Bit x86), Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition (32-bit x86), Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition , Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 editions, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 for Itanium-based Systems, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition for 64-Bit Itanium-Based Systems, Windows Server 2003, Datacenter x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition for Itanium-based Systems, Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, Windows Small Business Server 2003 , Windows XP 64-bit, Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition (Itanium) , Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition (Itanium) 2003, Windows XP Professional Edition, Windows XP Service Pack 2 2. As of now I don't know reaosn behind this design and whether there are any workarounds or not. I will search and will reply back if I find something usefulThanks, Ashutosh
July 23rd, 2011 6:11am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics