Problem with disk space(probably due to DFS roots).
Hello, all. I have a Server 2008 R2 Standard machine and i use it as PDC, DHCP Service, DNS Service and DFS Service. For DFS roots were created shares on the local drive C:. Themselves data are stored in the other place. Thus on the local drive C: were created only links to the data. The size of local disk C: is 60 Gb. Recently i noticed some error from DHCP Service and i decided to check space disk and i found that it was 0 kb. I have installed SpaceMonger. Program checked C: \ drive and folder on the C: \ drive. In a result it identified the so-called Unscanned space - the percentage is more than half of Total size disk C: \. It is note that in the list Unscanned space were found only DFS roots(the links to data). Reasons of Unscanned space were defined as Damaged Disk. I checked the disk c: with chkdsk and i got following results: Log Name: Application Source: Chkdsk Date: 08/11/2010 11:50:03 Chkdsk utility was run on a snapshot volume in read-only mode. Checking file system on C: Filesystem type: NTFS. Volume Label: System. WARNING! F parameter not specified. CHKDSK runs in read-only mode. Checking files (stage 1 of 3) ... Processed file records: 71680. Checking file is complete. Handled large file records: 210. Processed corrupted file records: 0. Processed record additional attributes: 0. Processed records re-analysis: 271. Checking indexes (stage 2 of 3) ... Index entries processed: 104594. Checking indexes finished. Retrieved unindexed files: 0. Unindexed files restored: 0. Checking security descriptors (stage 3 of 3) ... Processed file SD / SID: 71680. Cleaning up unused index entries 497 in the index $ SII file 0x9. Cleaning up unused index entries 497 in the index $ SDH file 0x9. Cleaning 497 unused security descriptors. Checking the security descriptor is completed. Processed data files: 16458. CHKDSK checks the log USN .. Processed bytes USN: 536978176. Completed verification USN Journal Windows checks the file system. No errors were found. 62914559 KB total disk space. 62129336 KB in 52099 files. 41436 KB in 16459 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 664599 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 79,188 MB free disk space. Cluster size: 4096 bytes. Total clusters on disk: 15728639. 19,797 clusters on disk. Will you have any ideas? Thank you. In additional i say that after reboot server the space disk size becomes the normal.
November 8th, 2010 4:31am

Will you have a suggestions?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 8th, 2010 9:57am

Today i found that rebooting server does not help and now the space equals zero, but system is working. In the system log of course appears some errors which say that some services could not update its base.
November 10th, 2010 12:56am

Hi, Could you let us know how did you check the space disk and find it’s 0KB? Did you run " Chkdsk c: /F"? If not, please try to run with /f and check the result. Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 10th, 2010 4:16am

chkdsk in the read-only mode shows that the space disk equals 0kb.
November 10th, 2010 7:35am

chkdsk in the read-only mode shows that the space disk equals 0kb. 4 KB free disk space.
November 10th, 2010 7:36am

SpaceMonger shows that the Unscanned place 48 Gb since the disk space is 60 Gb. SpaceMonger report - http://www.filefactory.com/file/b43404d/n/SpaceMongerReport.rar. It is note that in the list Unscanned space were found only DFS roots(the links to data). Reasons of Unscanned space were defined as Damaged Disk.
November 10th, 2010 8:36am

Thank you. The problem was solved. The reason of this case were files of security log which have backuped if it have size more then 150 Mb. In folder Windows\System32 there is folder winevt and the other program could not to see this folder. However, Microsoft Explorer has defined that the size of this folder is very big. The problem was solved.
December 12th, 2010 7:37am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics