Problem with SQL Listener Name

I installed SQL 2012 with Always on. It has 3 nodes.

Here is the detail information about the server:-

Server Name

Failover Mode

SQL Listener Name

Node 1

Automatic

ABCD

Node 2

Automatic

ABCD

Node 3

Manual

ABCD

It seems application is having problem to connect the DB server with listener name; but application can connect the DB server with server name (i.e. Node 1/2/3). Do you know what would be the reason?

I also noticed when I tried to connect DB server through SSMS (by using SQL Listener name) it is taking too much time. I have to increase connection time-out to 60 sec otherwise it is throwing timeout error. But if I use server name then it is not throwing timeout error. I am not sure why it is taking more time to connect DB by using SQL Listener name.  Any Idea? 

February 12th, 2015 2:12pm

What is your listener configuration? For instance the port, that you configured the listener, is it the default one? Also - from where you are trying to connect - from one of the nodes or from a totally different machine/server, than the 3 nodes.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 12th, 2015 7:23pm

Hi XYZ001,

As other post, please help to post more details for analysis.

Do you configure AlwaysOn Availability Group in a multi-subnet environment? If that is the case, please check the following things.

1. Make sure that you add the MultiSubnetFailover parameter and set it to true in the Additional Connection Parameters tab when connecting to DB server through SSMS by using Listener name. If you forget to pass in the MultiSubnetFailover parameter, it will allow for a successful but delayed connection even if you increase connection time-out. For more details, please review this blog.

2. When the application is unable to connect the DB server with listener name, the issue could occur when your application either uses a legacy data provider that does not support the new MultiSubnetFailover parameter, or is not configured to use this parameter. Please use the following resolutions as applicable to your case, for more details, please review this article.

To resolve this situation when the data providers support the MultiSubNetFailover parameter, add the MultiSubNetFailover parameter to your connection string, and set it to true.

To resolve this situation when your legacy clients cannot use the MultiSubnetFailover property, you can change the listeners RegisterAllProvidersIP value to 0.

3. If you have an active Transport Driver Interface (TDI) filter driver that is installed on the client application workstation, you may also get timeout error. For more details, please review this KB article.

There is also a similar thread for your reference.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23416492/connection-timeouts-when-using-multisubnetfailover-true

Thanks,
Lydia

February 13th, 2015 2:17am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics