Problem with KB2416400 on Server 2008
Windows update has been attempting to install KB2416400 (Cumulative Security Update for IE8) every day for several weeks now. Each time it fails with Error Code 80070057. I have tried several remedies that I found online, but none seem to correct the problem. I am running Server 2008 Standard 64-bit Service Pack 2. Does anyone have a possible resolution for this? Thanks...
February 1st, 2011 5:30pm

Check out this links http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winservergen/thread/2cc7070f-e243-4be1-b23d-d322946a09c4http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 2nd, 2011 1:36am

Hi, I would like to suggest you download the update KB2416400 and manually install it in Clean Boot. To perform a Clean Boot environment, please perform the following steps: 1. Click the Start Button, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility. Note: Please click the Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up. 2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray). 3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK. 4. Restart the computer and test the issue. Note: Clean Boot is just a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can enable them later on. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK. In Clean Boot, please download the update from the following link and install it manually. Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 in Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB2416400) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=99a91ba7-035b-4717-ada5-c1ad6645db64 If it does not work, please also run the System Update Readiness Tool. For the detailed information, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821 If the issue persists, would you please send me more information for analyzing. For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you. You can upload the information files to the following link. (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft") Workspace URL: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=c58866af-74f7-40c5-a456-c117013236d6 Password: yswk8SdkBoI27OV Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding. %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log Arthur Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
February 2nd, 2011 1:49am

Check out this links http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winservergen/thread/2cc7070f-e243-4be1-b23d-d322946a09c4 http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin Syed, Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I had tried both the renaming the SofwareDistribution folder fix as well as the current version of the System Update Readiness Tool. Niether of those solutions had any effect. The problem still persists.
February 2nd, 2011 2:02am

do as Arthur suggested and see if it helpshttp://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
February 2nd, 2011 2:07am

Arthur, I downloaded KB2416400 to the server locally and tried to install it from a clean boot. The installation failed and I received the same 80070057 error. I then ran the System Update Readiness Tool, and it completed successfully. I tried to install KB2416400 again, but it still failed. I uploaded the two files as you requested. Please let me know if you find out anything. Thanks...John
February 2nd, 2011 2:53am

Hi, Sorry for the delay. Please also run the command: sfc /scannow to scan the system. If some files cannot be fixed, please also run the command: findstr /C:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833 After that, please run the System Update Readiness Tool again. Now, please upload the sfcdetails.txt, CheckSUR.log and CheckSUR.persist.log to the new WorkSpace for our further research. Workspace URL: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=c4323709-691e-4597-8267-23a0fa991885 Password: 20SYxyc8GEkT{Q@c Regards, Arthur Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
February 7th, 2011 4:36am

Arthur, I tried to run sfc /scannow and encountered the following. The findstr command generated a sfcdetails.txt file was zero bytes. ========== Beginning system scan. This process will take some time. Beginning verification phase of system scan. Verification 21% complete. Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
February 8th, 2011 8:51pm

Hi, Please skip the System File Checker tool, run the System Update Readiness tool again, upload the newest CheckSUR.log and CheckSUR.persist.log file. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
February 8th, 2011 9:13pm

Hi Arthur, I ran System Update Readiness tool again and uploaded the files. The results from running the tool again did not appear to differ from the previous run. Thank You, John
February 8th, 2011 10:51pm

Hi, Please skip the System File Checker tool, run the System Update Readiness tool again, upload the newest CheckSUR.log and CheckSUR.persist.log file. Regards, Arthur Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
February 9th, 2011 5:08am

Hi, Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you run the following command to rename Catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folders. net stop wuauserv net stop CryptSvc ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old net start CryptSvc net start wuauserv If the issue persists, please also try to perform an In-Place upgrade to repair the system. 1. Start the computer. 2. Insert the Windows Server 2008 Installation DVD in the computer's DVD drive after Windows Server 2008 starts. 3. Select one of the following procedures: • If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the "Install now" screen appears. Click "Install now". • If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps: a. Click Start, type Drive:\setup.exe in the Search Bar, and then click OK. Note: Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive. b. Click Install now. 4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to repair Windows Server 2008. Note: If the Upgrade is disabled, please do not click Custom and perform the steps below to collect a screenshot for further research. Regards, Arthur Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
February 9th, 2011 10:21pm

Arthur, I tried your solution above, and it did not correct the problem. All it appeared to do was remove my Windows Update history. I see now, that I have an additional patch from last Tuesday that fails with the same 80070057 error. This patch also looks like an Internet Explorer security patch. The two failing patches are KB2416400 and KB2482017. All of the other patches from this week and prior installed without any errors. I am hesitant to perform a Repair Installation, as this server is our Virtual Center server as well as our Backup server for our environment. I don't know what the repair install might break, and possibly force me to rebiuld our vCenter environment - as well as possibly loosing our vCenter and Backup databases. Is there anything else that I can do to resolve this - or perhaps just risk running without these IE security patches. We do not routinely browse from this server - it is really only for vCenter and Backup. Thank You, John
February 10th, 2011 1:58pm

Hi, You may also try to reset Windows Update components by running the Microsoft Fix It tool from the following Microsoft KB article: How do I reset Windows Update components? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 If it does not work, please also try to uninstall and reinstall Interment Explorer 8 to reset the related components. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700 Regards, Arthur Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
February 11th, 2011 2:55am

Arthur, I ran the Microsoft Fix It that you suggested, and it did not correct the problem. I tried to uninstall Internet Explorer 8, and the uninstall fails with an error "An error has occured. Not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled". IE8 is still present on the system after this error. Thank You, John
February 11th, 2011 3:27am

Hi, Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you refer to the following link for further assistance regarding how to uninstall and reinstall Internet Explorer 8. Internet Explorer 8 and 9 (Beta) (Public Forum) http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/ieitprocurrentver/threads For more resource about Internet Explorer 8, you may find from the following link. Internet Explorer 8 Support http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/bb310730 Regards, Arthur Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
February 14th, 2011 9:36pm

Hi, I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help. Regards, Arthur Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
February 17th, 2011 8:48pm

Arthur, Using the link you provided, I was able to uninstall IE8. I verified that IE7 was then the current browser on the server. Now when I use Windows Update to check for the current updates, it finds two important updates: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB2482017) Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition When I try and install these updates, I get the same 80070057 error. Now I can't even install IE8. ...John
February 18th, 2011 8:07pm

Hi, Based on the current situation, please backup all the important files and perform an In-Place upgrade to repair the system. After everything works, you may restore them back. Regards, Arthur Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
February 22nd, 2011 10:27pm

Arthur, As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, this is our vCenter and Backup server. I cannot risk losing all of the databases, configurations and settings while attempting an in-place upgrade repair installation. There is no guarantee that this will solve the problem anyway. I guess that I will just have to leave this problem un-resolved for now. Hopefully some future patch or service pack will come along and resolve it later on. Thank You, John
March 4th, 2011 9:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics