Problem with AD access on Powershell 3.0

I'm trying to use some of the AD commands in powershell, and just started getting the following error:

get-aduser : Unable to find a default server with Active Directory Web Services running.
At line:1 char:1
+ get-aduser ts31p30
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (ts31p30:ADUser) [Get-ADUser], ADServerDownException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Unable to find a default server with Active Directory Web Services running.,Microsoft.ActiveD 
   irectory.Management.Commands.GetADUser

Just this morning it was working fine, the DCs are Win 2003 with all the latest patches, the workstation is Win 7 with all the latest patches, and I'm able to access AD Users and Computers from the workstation with no issues. I've tried to install the Active Directory Management Gateway Service  on the DCs but they tell me it's already installed. I've rebooted several times to no avail.

Any

June 26th, 2013 11:07pm

check here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/08a28694-1a06-46c0-a16f-1bcef71bc6a0/unable-to-add-a-member-to-a-group

DC:

1) Download and Install KB968934

2) KB 969429

Already installed, still happening.
June 27th, 2013 12:33am

I've installed the appropriate "patches" (KB968934 and KB 969429) - in fact they were installed on one of our DCs before my issue even happened.

I've also tried unjoining and re-joining my computer from the domain, still having this problem.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 27th, 2013 4:59pm

So I installed and registered the Quest AD tools, and they work fine, access AD from Powershell with no problems, yet the built in AD stuff does not work. 

Strange.

June 27th, 2013 6:09pm

Hi, 

I found below two helpful articles, please refer to them for more details to troubleshoot this issue:

Hey, Scripting Guy! What's Up with Active Directory Domain Services Cmdlets? 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2010/01/25/hey-scripting-guy-january-25-2010.aspx

Use Active Directory Cmdlets with PowerShell to Find Users

http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2011/08/29/use-active-directory-cmdlets-with-powershell-to-find-users.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Yan Li

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here .

June 28th, 2013 8:26am

Hi,

Just checking in to see if the suggestions were helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

July 1st, 2013 8:38am

Hi,

Just checking in to see if the suggestions were helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

July 2nd, 2013 11:43am

This is only happening on a single workstation, correct?
July 2nd, 2013 11:55am

This is only happening on a single workstation, cor
July 2nd, 2013 11:57am

July 2nd, 2013 12:02pm

July 2nd, 2013 3:46pm

Make sure you try repairing WMF 3.0 first, the re-image point should be last resort (I was trying to toss in a bit of humor to lighten things up).
July 2nd, 2013 4:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics