Problem with ADCS Web Enrollment
I just finished deploying a WS2008R2 Enterprise CA with the Web Enrollment component enabled. When I attempt to request a Web Server certificate through the web portal, I immediately receive the following error: Your request failed. An error occurred while the server was processing your request. Contact your administrator for further assistance. Request Mode: newreq - New Request Disposition: (never set) Disposition message: (none) Result: The RPC server is unavailable. 0x800706ba (WIN32: 1722) COM Error Info: CCertRequest::Submit: The RPC server is unavailable. 0x800706ba (WIN32: 1722) LastStatus: The operation completed successfully. 0x0 (WIN32: 0) Suggested Cause: This error can occur if the Certification Authority Service has not been started. As I can tell through searching the web, this appears to be a common problem with various possible causes. Here is some information about my setup that may spark ideas: The ADCS Service is definitely started and working I am able to request certificates from this CA outside of web enrollment (either through the CAPI manager or using certreq.exe) I am accessing the web enrollment site from the local CA server (http://localhost/certsrv) The CA server lives in the parent domain of the forest while my (and everyone else's) account is in a child domain As far as I can tell, the CA server DNS entry is ok. I can ping both the unqualified and FQDN of the CA server The error appears instantly. No event log entries are generated and their are no failed requests in the "Failed Requests" CA container. Has anyone run into this issue before, and how did you resolve it? Let me know if I can provide any further details
March 25th, 2010 4:50pm

Are you logged in using your domain account or a local account? If you are logged in with a local account, try using your domain account. Check the CERTSRV_DCOM_ACCESS group and make sure that DOMAIN\Domain Users, Domain Computers, and Domain Controllers groups are listed for each domain and child domain that will be used for cert requests. This group should be a local security group on the CA box, unless the CA is installed on a DC then it would be an AD domain local security group. By the sound of it, you can access the certsrv page fine and click through to request your cert, but when you submit the request then it fails, correct? Check to make sure all services are running in general. You might try checking your firewall logs & event logs for issues. Does it work any better if you try requesting from a different box, like your workstation?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 26th, 2010 8:12pm

Thanks for the suggestions, Steve. The issue actually turned out to be pretty simple. The CA server's FQDN was actually not resolving in DNS. After adding an entry in the hosts file on the client machine, everything worked fine. I don't know why I originally thought it was resolving.
March 26th, 2010 8:52pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics