Problem to restart virtual Servers after installation of Windows Update

Hi,

we have a problem to restart virtual Servers after installation of Windows Update.

Problem:

we created a new virtual Server(Windows 2012R2). After the installation of the OS, I did Windows Updates and it looked like that the installation was successfully. So I clicked "Restart now" and I get signed out. But nothing happened after!

In Hyper-V 2012 R2 was no action and the server was still running. But I can't log in! There was no chance, in Hyper-V I could connect but press the ctrl+alt+del-key wasn't possible. Connecting over RDP didn't work, too.

Many hours later the VM restarted and installed the updates. And now it works fine (I think). Our problem is that the time till restart takes too long. There are many hours without reaction of the server!

We will update our systems in a few days. There are many Windows Server 2012R2 and this problem could grow to a big one then!!!

At the moment it looks like that only new servers have this problem.

Could anyone help me?

February 11th, 2015 1:19pm

It can happen if there is a conflicting update. It can make the installation process stall, and the server will automatically reboot and try 'repairing' itself. Eventually it might be able boot properly, like in your case.
Look in the event log for windows update failures.

How many updates do you install at once? More updates=bigger chance of update clusterfack

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 11th, 2015 2:18pm

Hi Jesper,

I thought the same. But then I took only 2 updates for the Internet Explorer. There was the same problem.

Only new server have those problems. I've tried to update an older machine and there were no problems.

In the eventlog were no entries about a problem during the shutdown/reboot process.

A few minutes ago I've installed updates for Office and there are no problems. It might be some security updates?

The bigger problem is, that our hostserver are running with Windows Server 2012R2 and it is very bad if they crash during update!

February 11th, 2015 3:29pm

Hi,

Now and then I see that issue, when installing updates from scratch, incl server 2012r2. You only thing I can recommed is to split up the update process by selecting some of the updates. Letting windows choose by it self is not always successful

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 18th, 2015 8:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics