Problem installing updates for windows Silverlight.
I have a windows server 2008 sp2 with visual studio 2010 installed. I resently tried to install the silverlight update and it failed. Also renamed the CatRoot2 folder... no luck. I tried to uninstall the silverlight installation and that failed as well. I run the Windows Update rediness tool... This fixed any other updates that failed to install except Visual Studio 2010 SP1 - this I tried from Windows Updates and downloaded the SP1 on the server and run. I then tried to manualy uninstall silverlight with no effect. I am still unable to install the latest version of Silverlight. Is this a Silverliht issue? Is there a process to manualy uninstall Silverlight? Any suggestion on how to repair the system?
May 11th, 2011 11:31am

1. Exact procedure - use Process Monitor and find the faulting part... 2. If you have a message saying that msi is missing, then erase (after backup this part of registry) HKEY CLASSES ROOT Installer Products D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100 ...and restart computer 3. Use REVO uninstaller http://www.revouninstaller.com/download-professional-version.php (Next provide more info: Event logs, messages, ... )
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 12th, 2011 3:08pm

Hi, Please try the following steps to remove and reinstall the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight. Step 1 ==== Remove files related to Silverlight 1. Open C:\Program Files. 2. Find the folder named Microsoft Silverlight and then delete it. Note: I assume your Windows is installed on drive C. Step 2 ==== Remove registry keys related to Silverlight 1. Click the Start Button, then type REGEDIT in the “Search” box and press Enter. 2. Navigate to the following folder in the left pane if it exists. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Silverlight 3. Right click on Silverlight then click on "Permissions...". 4. Please check if Administrators is listed in the Group and User name list. If not, please click the Add button and type "Administrators" in the open window and click OK to add this group. 5. Highlight Administrators and check on Full Control under Accept. 6. Click the Advanced button and choose the Owner tab. 7. Highlight the current user account in the list and mark the check box before Replace owner on subcontainers and objects. 8. Click OK to save changes and wait for the system to transfer the ownership of all the objects. 9. Delete the Silverlight entry. 10. Use the same steps to delete the following entries if they exist: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{89F4137D-6C26-4A84-BDB8-2E5A4BB71E00} HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{DFEAF541-F3E1-4c24-ACAC-99C30715084A} HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{283C8576-0726-4DBC-9609-3F855162009A} After that, please restart the computer and install Silverlight again from http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/handlers/getsilverlight.ashx. For more information, please also refer to the following Microsoft MSDN blog: How to manually clean up a broken Silverlight installation http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rpomeroy/archive/2008/06/10/how-to-manually-clean-up-a-bad-silverlight-installation.aspx Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
May 13th, 2011 2:09am

Aurthur, Your instructions worked great. It solved the problem and the latest version of Silverlight is now installed. Thank you all for your help. Regards Chris
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 13th, 2011 4:19pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics