Problem installing System Center 2012 R2 Service Manager Data Warehouse - Not seeing Analysis Services Instance - Server is not available

I am in the process of installing System Center 2012 R2 Service Manager and running into an issue installing the data warehouse. I have been following the guidance posted to TechNet,but have gotten stuck.  

Some background on the environment. 

• Running Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V
  • The Service Manager topology is four servers:  Management Server, Data Warehouse, SQL Cluster
  • Management Server is 2012 R2
  • Data Warehouse server is 2012 R2
  • SQL 2012 SP1 two node cluster with CU 7 installed on the Service Manager Instance
  • The instance for Service Manager is a named instance (Not the default)
  • Cluster Validation tests have completed with no errors

I was able to successfully install the Management Server with no errors. When I attempt to install the data warehouse server, I get to the point of selecting the SQL server for Analysis Services for OLAP cubes and can not connect to the database server.  I enter the NETBIOS name for the cluster instance as I did in the previous screens, and I get an error that "The server is not available."

Troubleshooting steps taken:

• I have confirmed that the Analysis Service is running and that I can connect to it from Management Studio, both from the SQL cluster nodes and a remote machine. (I had to install CU 7 in order to be able to see permissions from a server running 2012 R2.)
  • I've confirmed that the account that the installation is being run from has permissions to both the database engine and analysis services. 
  • I've restarted the Analysis Services from Failover Cluster Manager. 
  • I've restarted the SQL Browser Service. 
  • I've tried moving the instance to the other node (for S&Gs)
  • I've rebooted the entire SQL cluster and restarted the installation
  • I've performed the manual steps to prepare the remote SQL as outlined in the deployment guide
  • I've tried entering the server names in the cluster as apposed to the cluster name and other variations

The only thing I can see in the event viewer that looks related is the following error:

• Failed to initialize SQLSQM timer. One of the following can be the source of the problem: registry doesn't contain all necessary information, server instance name can not be retrieved correctly, failure during timer creation, etc.  (Upon researching this specific error, I'm seeing suggestions to contact Microsoft Support)

Any suggestions of things to check would be greatly appreciated.  I'm hoping there's a step I've missed somewhere

February 27th, 2014 6:32pm

does the Setup wizard give you any error message when trying to connect to Analysis Services?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 12th, 2014 9:21pm

The only error thrown during setup was that "The server is not available".  

There must have been something I did not configure correctly using the named instance.  I ended up removing the Management Server and the SQL instance.  Then, I reinstalled SQL in the default instance and was able to get everything installed and working correctly.

March 13th, 2014 12:55am

There must have been something I did not configure correctly using the named instance.  I ended up removing the Management Server and the SQL instance.  Then, I reinstalled SQL in the default instance and was able to get everything installed and working correctly.

I'm having the same problem as well on the "Configure Analysis Services for OLAP cubes" section of the SCSM DW setup.

Any other help besides removing the Management Server and SQL instance?  I'd like to avoid that if possible.

April 1st, 2014 7:09pm

Chris is your issue on a cluster or stand alone SQL server?  Can you connect to SSAS via SQL Studio Management Console with the user running the Service manager install? 
April 1st, 2014 7:25pm

This is our test environment on a standalone SQL server (SQL 2012).  I can connect to the SSAS instance fine remotely using SSMS as the SCSM setup account I'm using, yes.
April 1st, 2014 7:27pm

What service Pack and CU is installed on your SQL Server? what Version of Service Manager are you trying to install?
April 1st, 2014 7:34pm

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (SP1) - 11.0.3000.0 (X64)
    Oct 19 2012 13:38:57
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
    Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.2 <X64> (Build 9200: )

Trying to (re) install the DW management server, SCSM 2012 SP1

April 1st, 2014 7:37pm

Here's how I got it to work (SCSM 2012 R2):

Need to have the following port open for Analysis services (relates to SQL Server Broker): TCP 2382 (named instance) or TCP 2383 (default instance) Need to specify a static port in Analysis Services (open SSMS, select Analysis Services, open the Server\Instance properties, then under General, find the entry for Port (it's likely to be set to 0, meaning a dynamic port will be used) and set it to a static value in the Value field.  You'll need to restart the Analysis Services service after this.

Finally, add a firewall exception for that port in Windows Firewall.  

You should be able to connect after this.

October 14th, 2014 11:07am

I was able to get past the server not available message during the OLAP install section by enabling all the analysis services instances that were installed on the SQL server. We had a few offline. The browse function would attempt to list one that was offline and stop browsing. You could see it in a network trace. No need to configure a static port, at least on our setup.

Charlie

May 11th, 2015 1:01pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics