Problem connecting to Server share
Hey there, Not exactly sure if this is the right forum for this but I have a new server running Server 2008 R2 very basic setup. The server has a static IP address and is on a workgroup called Workgroup. There is a Windows 7 and Windows XP machine on the same workgroup. The server has very limited things turned on. It is using the home network as the main active network connection. UAC is on the lowest setting, the Firewall is turned off and all network sharing is turned on. I was able to ping and connected to the server by name and ip address. I was able to connect to the share and map the drives. It seemed to take a little while at first for the Windows 7 machine to see the server though ( I didn't check the XP machine though). Weird part though is it lost the connection to the server in every way possible. It will not connect through UNC, can't see through network discovery, can't ping by either IP address or server name. I can connect all computers to the internet and they all can ping other servers on the network though. This one is got me scratching my head. Let me know if you need any other info because I may have left things out since I think I have tried everything. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Matt
November 6th, 2012 10:04pm

Hi, Thank you for the post. I was able to ping and connected to the server by name and ip address. what do you mean connected to the server? RDP or UNC? And what is your problem? Do you mean win 7 and win xp client unable to access the network share on windows server 2008? If yes, what is the error message that you have received? Regards,Nick Gu - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 12th, 2012 7:48am

Hello Matt, Can you post an IPCONFIG /ALL of the server and of one of the workstations?Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog
November 12th, 2012 8:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics