Problem Network Load Balancing on Virtual Remote Desktop Services servers 2008
Hi All, I have a problem with the configuration of the network load balancing option on my virtual terminal servers. this is my configuration: Server 1 : Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V Virtual server 1: Microsoft Windows Server 2008 SP1 32x with RDS Virtual Networkcard 1: 172.25.1.15 Virtual Networkcard 2: 172.25.1.51 (NLB activated) this card is only running TCP/IPv4 and NLB Server 2 : Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V Virtual server 2: Microsoft Windows Server 2008 SP1 32x with RDS Virtual Networkcard 1: 172.25.1.16 Virtual Networkcard 2: 172.25.1.52 (NLB activated) this card is only running TCP/IPv4 and NLB I want to use Network Load Balancing for the Terminal Servers, so i have installed NLB, i have made a new cluster with the cluster ip 172.25.1.50, i have added both of the host ip adresses to the cluster. Network Load Balancing conferged both of the servers right so everything looks fine. I try to ping the cluster ip, what will work! but Remote Desktop does not work on the cluster ip. When i close Network load balancing program and i restart it, one host is gone! But on both terminal servers i can see the cluster in the load balancing program buth only with the local ip of that server. Remote Desktop to both ip adresses of the terminal server still works fine! Only to the cluster ip doesnt work! So load balancing doenst work! I have tried many things and option after searching on the internet and this forum. - enable/disable mac spoofing on the virtual network card - used one and two virtual network cards, one only for NLB and one for other traffic. - tried unicast and multicast mode in network load balancing - added a legacy network adapter and a non legacy network adapter - reinstalled network load balancing - used with session broker and without session broker etc etc but all of my options doesnt work! Can anyone help me with this problem? Many thanks! regards, Raymond
April 19th, 2011 5:43am

Hi, Thanks for reply, but i allready use a FQDN that is pointed to the NLB Cluster, I have recreated this DNS point also a few times to different ip adresses. But it should work also when i try to connect to the ip address, or not? What is the right configuration? use one network card on both servers and use that for de NLB? use multicast or unicast in NLB? thanks!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 20th, 2011 2:45am

Hi Raym0ndh, Thanks for posting here. I think it should no problem to deploy NLB with single NIC node hosts in this scenario. And you should set different IP segment address for NICs if you are going to deploy NLB with multihomed node hosts. Not sure if you have read the article below but it seems quite fit your requirement: Network Load Balancing Step-by-Step Guide: Configuring Network Load Balancing with Terminal Services http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771300(WS.10).aspx Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
April 20th, 2011 7:56am

Hi Tiger Li, Thanks for reply, i have read the step by step guide serveral times but it is still not working. Do you have any other suggestions for me! Thanks!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 20th, 2011 8:23am

You should be using only the NLB Name, and the NLB Virtual (shared) IP. Get a ping on that, and let me know the results. Start with Unicast. If you dont get a response - you have a DNS issue to square away. remember to do a flushdns and remove any host entries. otherwise, try a host entry as a test. *a
May 4th, 2011 9:42am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics