Problem: Slow Intranet Sites/Internal DNS Resolution for only AD Users

Hello,

We are experiencing a very odd problem.
Any and All Active Directory users are experiencing very slow intranet sites.
We are a school corporation, so this is affecting our Student Information System, as it is entirely web-based and locally hosted.

All of our Domain Controllers are Windows Server 2012 R2, with all the latest critical updates.
All client workstations are Windows 8.1 Professional.
The problem occurs with ALL web browsers (IE, Chrome, FF, etc)
All DNS queries respond in <1 ms (no matter whether we are logged in as AD User or local computer user).
If we login as local computer user, we have blazing fast intranet sites/DNS resolution.
If we login as AD user, everything crawls again... every click on the intranet site spins and says loading for up to 15 seconds.
If we add the the intranet site to the local computer HOST file, it is blazing fast, just as if we logged on as local computer user.
If we take it back out of the HOST file, it drags again.

I am totally stumped!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

August 22nd, 2014 8:25pm

Hi,

How are DNS settings configured?

If there are any public DNS IP addresses in Preferred or Alternate field, please remove them, then input these DNS entries in the Advanced section. We should only configure Domain Controllers IP addresses on Preferred and Alternate DNS server section for domain-joined machines.

More information for you:

Active Directorys Reliance on DNS, and using an ISPs DNS address

http://blogs.msmvps.com/acefekay/2009/08/17/ad-and-its-reliance-on-dns/

Best Regards,

Amy

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 25th, 2014 8:20am

How is your DHCP configured, do you give out the DNS servers with DHCP or are they manually configured on the machines and are there differences in DHCP configuration for local and AD users?
August 25th, 2014 5:05pm

My apologies for the long awaited reply. It was actually much simpler than that. I feel very humbled/humiliated, as there was somehow a second DNS entry for the server. I assume the DNS entry came from the initial Server setup when the server pulled a DHCP Address. After removing the second/incorrect DNS entry, everything was great. Again, sorry for the late reply.
July 15th, 2015 9:26am

My apologies for the long awaited reply. It was actually much simpler than that. I feel very humbled/humiliated, as there was somehow a second DNS entry for the server. I assume the DNS entry came from the initial Server setup when the server pulled a DHCP Address. After removing the second/incorrect DNS entry, everything was great. Again, sorry for the late reply.
July 15th, 2015 9:26am

Hi,

My apologies for the long awaited reply. It was actually much simpler than that. I feel very humbled/humiliated

Hey, it happens to the best of us.

Anyway, glad to hear that you have solved the issue!

Please feel free to let us know if there are any further requirements.

Best Regards,

Amy

July 15th, 2015 10:03pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics