Problem: Roaming profile not being created when we recreate a users roaming profile
Hi Guys,I have a frustrating problem.we are in a 2000 AD environment and have laptop and desktop users running XP SP3.All AD accounts have a roaming profile path to a file server on network.User are currently using roaming profiles but when a problem occurs where we need to reseta users profile a new profile folder will not be created and the computer insists on using a local profile.when we reset a profile the steps we would take are as follows: Rename the local profile on the users computer to have a '_old' postfix. We then rename the folder on the network storage location to have the '_old' postfix as well. The active directory profile path remains unchanged.When the user logs in and then back out we see no folder being automatically created and the settings are using a newly created profiel on the local computer. I've checked the userenv.log and event logs but cant see any reason why this wouldnt be using a roaming profile when the AD account is telling it to use a roaming profile.Can anyone shed fomr light on the subject?
November 19th, 2009 4:08pm

Hello, The roaming profile is not created automatically, you have to create it manually and place in a shared folder. Please refere to this article for a help on creating the roaming profile: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243420
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 19th, 2009 6:53pm

Hello and thanks for the reply.I'm afraid I would have to disagree given my experience and I have just performed some testing in a lab environment. My beleif is that when your computer starts the logon process and authenticates, it looks at the account in Active Directory and sees it has a roaming profile path so then attempts to pull down the profile. If this folder does not exist it should try and create the folder assuming the neccessary permissions.I created a new user account and ensured that the account had a roaming profile. Upon login with this user account a profile folder was auto-created on the network share. At log off the folder became populated with the normal profile files and folders (such as the ntuser.dat ect). I then logged on the the workstation computer using a local admin account to remove completly the local cache'd profile for my test user. I then renamed the roaming profile folder on the network storage.I then logged in using the test user again and a fresh default profile was again created on the workstation. At logoff this was saved to the server as expected.I then tried this in my live environment with a newly created user and the same behaviour occurred which leads me to beleive the problem has something to do with existing users.I think this proves how the process should work but for some users this isnt happening.I apreciate your input.RegardsLee
November 20th, 2009 12:50pm

Hi Lee,First, you need to check the whether user account have Full Control on both of the Share permissions, and the Security tab Permissions. Ensure there is no network traffic issue with theclient andserver.Also, please check if the following KB address your issue.You cannot load or unload a roaming user profile if it contains EFS files on a Windows XP-based or a Windows Server 2003-based clienthttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/911805Roaming profiles are not saved if you log off a Windows Vista-based, Windows XP-based, or Windows 2000-based computerhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/897101If the issue continues, please try to follow the KB 316353 to create a NEW user account with roaming profile enabled.How to configure a user account to use a roaming user profile in Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000 Server, or Windows NT 4.0http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316353Does it problem persists?Best Regards,Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
November 23rd, 2009 10:11am

Thanks for the reply Wilson. I'll have a look at the articles and then get back to you with the results. I have created a new user account and tis worked as I expected however the problem appears to be with existing users.RegardsLee
November 23rd, 2009 12:55pm

I've reivewed the articles however none of them aplly to our situation. We don't use EFS and the hardware I saw the problem on was using an Intel chipset graphics card and not an Nvidia.Like I said previously, the new user account I created worked as expected however after resetting another users profile, the logon/logoff process did not create a new profile as you would expect.Any further ideas?RegardsLee
November 23rd, 2009 1:05pm

Hi Lee,Thank you for your response.According to your description, it seems this issue onlyoccurs on the existing users. Please try the following steps to see if the issue continues.1. Change the original user profile folder to have the _old postfix.2. Change back userprofilepath to local in Active Directory Users andComputers.3. Logonthe user account on the client andensure the local profile is created under C:\Documents and Settings\.4. Logon the user account.5. Change back the user profile path to server's roaming profile in Active Directory Users and Computers.6. Logon and logoff the user account again on the client. (Romaining profile save the profile changes when the user logoff the system)7. Check if the romaing profile folder is created on the server.Best Regards,Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
November 24th, 2009 1:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics