Private Network Works; Public Network Fails
What roles does this server have? If DNS is one of the roles then multi-homing is no doubt the cause of this. This one might help. The Host's "A" Record Is Registered in DNS After You Choose Not to Register the Connection's Address http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275554 Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
January 3rd, 2012 4:28am

Hi Mike, Thanks for posting here. Have you checked the default route entry on that server ? > I checked the firewall settings and they are turned off for the Private and Domain, not Public. Do you mean this external facing interface is still be assigned public firewall profile ? If I understand you properly, this is a multihomed host. So have we try to troubleshoot by temporarily disabling the internal facing interface and connect to external with using only one active interface with valid network settings (IP, Mask, default ,DNS…etc). Could you show us the route table and “ipconfig /all” results from this server here ? Default Gateway Configuration for Multihomed Computers http://support.microsoft.com/kb/157025 Regards, Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 4th, 2012 6:10am

This doesn't make sense. Have a 2008 Server that according to the client just stopped functioning on the public network. The local network on the private side works fine (PING, ARP, PRINTING, FILE SHARE and so on). Not a problem on the local network. On the public side, DNS, PING, HTTP just do not work. I checked the firewall settings and they are turned off for the Private and Domain, not Public. Other workstations can ping out without a problem and access the Internet, if DNS is manually assigned so that it is not going through the server. I traced packets, pinging an external address. I was able to successfully monitor the packets leaving the Internal network going to the Internet and returning from the Internet going to the server. The server just isn’t recognizing any Public traffic. Suggestions?
February 4th, 2012 8:15pm

What roles does this server have? Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
February 4th, 2012 8:32pm

Hi Mike, Thanks for posting here. Have you checked the default route entry on that server ? > I checked the firewall settings and they are turned off for the Private and Domain, not Public. Do you mean this external facing interface is still be assigned public firewall profile ? If I understand you properly, this is a multihomed host. So have we try to troubleshoot by temporarily disabling the internal facing interface and connect to external with using only one active interface with valid network settings (IP, Mask, default ,DNS…etc). Could you show us the route table and “ipconfig /all” results from this server here ? Default Gateway Configuration for Multihomed Computers http://support.microsoft.com/kb/157025 Regards, Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
February 4th, 2012 10:14pm

Hi Mike, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. Regards, Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.Tiger Li TechNet Community Support
February 5th, 2012 4:54am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics