Printers of other users visible and show up multiple times under the control panel

Hello,

I currently have a very interesting problem:

Some (not all) printers show up multiple times on every user session on the specific terminal server. This behavior show up on both of the 2 servers. Also the printer only shows up multiple times under the control panel, but not in the printer dialog.

The users are not part of either printer operators, Administrator or Power Users.

The servers are Windows Server 2012.

I cannot find a reason for this after some hours with my friend Google.

Does someone have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks in advance

Paul

May 14th, 2014 1:57pm

Hi Paul,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

Initially please specify some more below information for your case.

Have you specify any policy setting on server side for any of your users?
Does this happen to single user or multiple users?

Meantime, you can try to delete the printer manually, restart the client system and then check the result. Other thing, you can enable Redirect only the default client printer in GPO under below path.

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Printer Redirection

Hope it helps!

Thanks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 16th, 2014 4:09am

Hello,

thanks for your reply, here some more informations:

I have not specified any policy settings on the server side beside the printer redirection and folder redirection.
This problem affects all users on the terminal server.

The server was restarted multiple times as well as the desktop system.
Also the GPO "Redirect only the default client printer" will not change anything as the problem does not occur with the redirected printers, but with the printers connected to the user session on there terminal server.

Do you have any other solution which could help solve my problem?

Thanks

Paul

May 16th, 2014 5:54am

Hello Paul,

I think we have the same problem at our customers. I created a post a few weeks ago: 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/f6796bae-acb6-423c-9bc2-da83e5f16d64/mutiple-printers-with-other-guid?forum=winserverprint

But i still did not find a solution. Can you update this ticket if you have new information?

May 20th, 2014 10:04am

Hello Jansen,

thanks for you reply. If I find a solution I will post it here.

Cheers

Paul

May 20th, 2014 10:08am

Please take a look on the remote desktop services local resources section if local resources are ticked.
May 20th, 2014 10:29am

Hi Paul,

I found this article:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/71d06204-3735-4473-8bc9-20be9e19090e/problem-with-multiple-instances-of-shared-printers-being-installed-on-client-computers-when-the?forum=winserverprint

It looks like our problem. What do you think?

Just thought I'd chime in as I've experienced similar issues on Server 2012 R2.
Initially I was investigating another printer related issue, and started removing printers from Devices and Printers, only to find they would appear again straight away!
As I repeated removing the printers, they continued to come back and duplicate. 
From attempting to remove 4 printers, I ended up with 20!
Removing them in Device Manager from the Print Queues works, but all 20 came back after restarting the spooler service
******The fix was******
After finding this post, I started trying to delete the dupes under Client Side Rendering Print Provider\Servers but was getting access denied errors.
Further searching led me to the Wow6432Node version of the same key, specifically
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider\Servers
After removing the entries here, then removing the printers from Devices and Printers, all was well.
Restarting the spooler confirmed the duplicates no longer showed up.
Jordan, this issue was on a Server 2012 RDSH so the fix may be checking this key too..

• Edited by JPJ Jansen Tuesday, May 20, 2014 2:28 PM
May 20th, 2014 2:28pm

Hello Jansen,

I will try this during the night and reply back if this worked.

Thanks for the article.

May 21st, 2014 4:52am

Hello Jansen,

I tested deleting the registry keys, but to no avail. The problem still persists.

Thanks anyway. That means we have to look further.

Paul

May 22nd, 2014 5:18am

Hi Paul,

Thanks for testing it. I did it to, but it didn't solve for me either. 

I hope we can find a solution fast, we get a lot complaining about it. 

May 22nd, 2014 8:14am

Hi,

Does anybody have new information about this issue?

June 6th, 2014 9:14am

Hello,

as we are also still stuck. I opened a call with MS as well.

As soon as I get any information about solving this problem I will post it here.

June 10th, 2014 1:26pm

Hi,

we are receiving the same printer problems on our clients (randomly).
As well we opened a call with MS but until now, no solution was found to solve this issue.

Did you have any luck solving it?

Regards
Marcus

• Edited by Armolite Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:30 AM
June 18th, 2014 7:28am

Hello,

here is a status update from our MS Call:

The problem was reported from more than 100 Customers and the problem is considered a bug in teh WS2012. Currently the problem is worked on by the developers, so we can probably expect a hotfix for this problem.

As soon as I get more information I will post them here.

Regards

Paul

July 22nd, 2014 7:00am

Hello,

here is a status update from our MS Call:

The problem was reported from more than 100 Customers and the problem is considered a bug in teh WS2012. Currently the problem is worked on by the developers, so we can probably expect a hotfix for this problem.

As soon as I get more information I will post them here.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the update. In the mean while i installed a new WS2012R2 server with a new HPUniversal print driver but we got the exact same problems. 

I hope Microsoft will come fast with the hotfix. 

July 28th, 2014 11:13am

Any news update from Microsoft? Or still nothing?
August 8th, 2014 8:46am

Hello,

still no solution, they say that they are working on it.

August 8th, 2014 9:50am

Hi,

Can you ask Microsoft for an update? Do you have a workaround so users can print without any problems?

September 15th, 2014 11:18am

Hello,

I am still in contact with MS. They wanted me to do the following steps to solve the problem (do not do this):

1. Stoppen Sie den Spoolerdienst.
2. Fhren Sie das besprochen Spooler Cleaning durch (Backup von den Print Registry Key zuerst durchfhren).
3. Lschen Sie den Client Side Rendering Print Provider Key komplett unter HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\
4. Konfigurieren Sie folgende Policy auf dem Terminal Server (wenn nicht schon aktiv):
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Printers: Always render print jobs on the server policy setting > Enable.
5. Starten Sie den Spoolerdienst neu und verbinden Sie eine einzige Druckerqueue damit der Client Side Rendering Print Provider neu erstellt wird.
6. Nachdem der Client Side Rendering Print Provider neu erstellt wurde, konfigurieren Sie bitte folgende Keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider]
"InactiveGuidPrinterAge"=dword:0000012c
"ActiveGuidPrinterAge"=dword:0000012c
"InactiveGuidPrinterTrim"=dword:0000012c
"RemovePrintersAtLogoff"=dword:00000001

7. Starten Sie den TS neu.

I applied the steps yesterday, but the problem was not resolved. But as a result after 5 minutes after logging in the TS removed printers, and you had to login again, but the same happened over and over again. I had to revert back to the day before the settings.

Still waiting for MS to supply a new action plan.

Regards

Paul

September 15th, 2014 12:38pm

Any update to this Paul?
October 5th, 2014 9:04pm

Hello,

Microsoft developers are still working on it.

Regards,

Paul

October 6th, 2014 4:20am

Hi Paul,

We are facing the same problem with all our customers running 2012 R2 RDS servers and using shared printers. I currently have a ticket open with Microsoft, but so far they have not provided me with a viable solution.

I was wondering if you ever got this one solved?

January 28th, 2015 8:28am

Hello,

we still have the ticket open at MS, but so far no result in this matter, according to MS the developers are working on a solution.

Regards,

Paul

January 28th, 2015 8:30am

Hi,

having the same problem too, can't get past the pilot stage while this is still an issue.

Thank

January 28th, 2015 1:47pm

Hello,

just a short notice:

Problem is a Microsoft-confirmed bug, the problem is effecting Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2.

They are currently still working on a solution.

Regards

Paul

March 24th, 2015 12:38pm

Hi,

Is there any update on this issue? I have a customer that has the same problem described in this thread. Printers from individual users are showing up in other users "Device and Printers". They can be removed from users by authenticate with a Admin account but the printer is back in a few seconds. This customer has a Windows Server 2012 R2 farm with 3 sessionhost servers and 1 Connection broker. The issue is on all sessionhost servers. The customer is using User Profile Disks in this Environment.

Thankful if someone as an update on this issue!

Regards
Peter

May 6th, 2015 5:24pm

Hello,

problem still the same and still no update from MS.

Regards

Paul

May 7th, 2015 2:27am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics