Printers deployed via Group Policy show wrong drivers on Client Computers

So, I've been administering networked printers for a few years now, and in nearly all cases, when I share a printer from a server, then add it to a client computer, I see the same driver in the printer properties on the client computer as I had set on the server.

However, I've got a client on Server 2012 which I'm sharing printers and deploying via Group Policy. When I go to a client's computer and check the printer properties > advanced tab for the driver, it shows "Microsoft point and print compatible driver" instead of the "HP 4300 PCL6" driver I need. I've tried deploying with login script, changing different GPOs, removing the unwanted driver to no avail (after removing all printers and shares and rebooting, I still get the driver is in use error...), nothing is working.

The thing is this wouldn't really be an issue (the printer works just fine with this other driver showing), but the client OF COURSE has a 3rd party tax reporting program that only works if the printer is using a PCL6 driver. And they want this on every computer (I would just add one manually via TCP/IP if it were only 1 computer using the program) so it NEEDS to be deployed via GPO or logon script.

SO, the question is, does that Microsoft Point and Print driver show up but in actuality it is still using the HP PCL6 driver on the server? Am I totally missing a super easy setting so that shared printers don't use this unwanted driver? Is this just something new with Sever 2012 Print Server? HAS THE WORLD GONE COMPLETELY INSANE? Do I need less coffee?

Been pulling my hair out on this one, any help much appreciated!

July 29th, 2015 5:59pm

Hi Tyler,

>>Printers deployed via Group Policy show wrong drivers on Client Computers

We can try to control printer driver installation via the following policy to see if it helps.

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Printers\Point and Print Restrictions

Regarding this setting, the following article can be referred to for more information.

Control Printer Driver Installation Security

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753269.aspx

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 31st, 2015 9:39am

Hmm the link seems to be broken, missing, or... yeah. But thanks for the suggestion I'll look into this GPO you mentioned.

Thanks!

August 3rd, 2015 7:16pm

The link seems contain incorrect content in the end. Already fixed. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Cc753269.aspx

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 11th, 2015 2:55am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics