Printer access problems after KB2347290 installed
Running web application via CGI on Windows 2003 or Windows 2008 server. Application accesses AMYUNI PDF Converter (a Printer on the server) to convert documents to PDF. Application has been working OK (for years) until Windows update installed security update KB2347290. Now users (who access via web browser) hang when the CGI application tries to access the PDF printer. If I remove KB2347290 then the application works fine again. Also, under Windows 2003 if I put back the old SPOOLSV.EXE and restart the spooler service then the application runs fine. (Windows 2008 wouldn't let me replace the SPOOLSV.EXE so this workaround doesn't work under Windows 2008.) I assume KB2347290 will be included as part of future service packs, so my temporary solution of removing the hotfix isn't a good long term solution. From what I can see, KB2347290 has something to do with changing the way the printer spooler service validates user permissions when accessing print spoolers. Therefore my question is "Is there some "right" I can add to the authenticated user that would allow the application to access the PDF printer with KB2347290 installed." RAWINTECH.
October 18th, 2010 10:42pm

I have the same issue, but in my case the code running under IIS makes use of Generic Post Script printer from Adobe / MS. The request ends up in error status on the Generic Post Script printer print queue. Have opened up a ticket with MS Tech support as the code is production code, so far so no luck on a resolution. -sj
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 19th, 2010 3:20pm

I have the same issue, but in my case the code running under IIS makes use of Generic Post Script printer from Adobe / MS. The request ends up in error status on the Generic Post Script printer print queue. Have opened up a ticket with MS Tech support as the code is production code, so far so no luck on a resolution. -sj Even though I have a ticket opened with MS, I did further analysis and found a work around solution to this issue- If your application is ASP.NET or WCF service running under iis and your web.config has <identity impersonate="true"/> this causes the code to be blocked by the KB2347290. In my case i have the impersonation set at the IIS and APP pool for my application and commenting <identity impersonate="true"/> in web.config makes the code work. -sj
October 19th, 2010 10:19pm

Hello SJ, Our application is running as a CGI under IIS. Do you know if there are similar options available to IIS CGI processes that would also solve the issue? -RAWINTECH
October 21st, 2010 5:12pm

Hi RAWINTECH, I am not sure on a CGI application, but an update MS has confirmed this to be a bug today to me and they are working on a hotfix but have not provided any ETA for the fix. Regards, SJ
November 15th, 2010 3:45pm

Thanks SJ. Just for completeness for this thread, the CGI impersonation option is set as follows... cscript adsutil.vbs SET w3svc/CreateProcessAsUser false Setting this option works around the problem for a CGI process. Will keep an eye out for the hotfix. - RAWINTECH
November 15th, 2010 3:52pm

please see this blog for your reference http://blogs.technet.com/b/asiasupp/archive/2010/11/24/printer-access-problems-after-kb2347290-installed.aspx
November 23rd, 2010 11:27pm

please see this blog for your reference http://blogs.technet.com/b/asiasupp/archive/2010/11/24/printer-access-problems-after-kb2347290-installed.aspx
November 24th, 2010 7:27am

Microsoft have sent me a patch to the KB2347290 hotfix which I have confirmed resolves this issue on both Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 server. I understand a public release of this patch is due out soon. Ross.
December 13th, 2010 9:37pm

MS have sent me a private hotfix for this issue WindowsServer2003-KB2480118-x86-ENU.exe. I have tested this to be successful. -SJ
December 23rd, 2010 12:00pm

MS have sent me a private hotfix for this issue WindowsServer2003-KB2480118-x86-ENU.exe. I have tested this to be successful. -SJ Hi, Can somebody from MS respond when the KB2480118 will be available? I got this KB from MS in December and a lot of our customers are waiting for the patch. Waiting for your feedback. Chris.
February 9th, 2011 5:30am

MS have sent me a private hotfix for this issue WindowsServer2003-KB2480118-x86-ENU.exe. I have tested this to be successful. -SJ Hi, Can somebody from MS respond when the KB2480118 will be available? I got this KB from MS in December for test and the test were succesful. A lot of our customers are waiting for the patch. Waiting for your feedback. Chris.
February 9th, 2011 5:31am

Hi All, Microsoft has release the patch now. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2480118/ You have to request the patch for your operating system using the above link. Have fun !!! Chris
February 21st, 2011 10:17am

Best 6-in-1 PDF Converter for Mac Mac PDF Converter is easy to use for Apple Mac users to convert PDF files to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, EPUB, Text and HTML. You won't lose any elements of original PDF files, such as text, hyperlinks, images, layouts, tables, columns, graphics. With PDF Converter for Mac, you can convert maximum 50 PDF files at one time, or specify page ranges (e.g. page 1-15) or select specific pages (e.g. page 5,7,14…) from each PDF file to convert. PDF Converter for Mac Figures: Change contents in any existing PDF files. Extract the text, images, graphics, tables and hyperlinks for reusing in other applications. Modify typos and misspellings in PDF files. Extract PDF tables and data to Excel spreadsheet for easier calculating and editing. Adjust image sizing and text placement. Edit PDF files in Microsoft office. Read PDF eBooks on mobile devices, such as iPad, iPhone 4, iPod touch, Sony reader and more. Share PDF files on internet easily. Print restricted PDF files. And more... pdf converter for mac | pdf converter pdf to swf converter Powerful evidence: using PDF to IMAGE Converter, U can convert pdf to all kinds of image formats: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, PCX, TGA, TIFF. U can also adjust the color, quailty, resolution, page of the files converted! ipad converter
April 12th, 2011 10:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics