Printer Location Tracking - how does it work for the user
Printer Location Tracking - I found plenty of information on how to make this work; enabling the GPO, adding location information to subnets in Sites & Services, adding the location info to the printers and to the computers in AD. But, how does it work for the users? What do they do to use this? Our users have Windows 7.
April 12th, 2011 3:57pm

When you have published printers with specific location strings, Add Printer will find the published printers and list 20 (configurable by policy) on the first page. The user then selects the one to which they wish to connect and complete Add Printer.Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 13th, 2011 8:46am

When you have published printers with specific location strings, Add Printer will find the published printers and list 20 (configurable by policy) on the first page. The user then selects the one to which they wish to connect and complete Add Printer. Alan Morris Windows Printing Team Ok, so (with Win7) on the first Add Printer screen, you choose "add a printer"... and then on the next screen just the printers for that location are listed? That would be pretty cool. Can you confirm that I'm understanding the necessary steps: - enable the GPO for Printer Location Tracking - go into Sites & Services and set the location string for each subnet - go into Properties for each network printer and set the corresponding location string - go into ADUC, and on each computer set it's location string (this is the one I'm wondering if it's necessary) thanks.
April 13th, 2011 9:29am

Not sure what ADUC is, it's not anything needed to publish the printer information to the AD. You can publish multiple printers to the AD using Printmanagement.msc. Just select all the printers, right click, select List in Directory Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
April 13th, 2011 9:35am

Sorry.... ADUC = Active Directory Users and Computer, MMC No, I wasn't referring to publishing the printers. I had seen something somewhere on the 'net that said each computer in AD will need to have it's "location" string set. Is that true? The way I understood it, by setting the location string for the subnet, in Sites & Services, that was what would determine which printers a user would see, based on their IP address, and the corresponding subnet in Sites & Services. Setting the location on the computer also didn't seem necessary. But then again, I have never used this feature.
April 13th, 2011 10:06am

you dont need to set the computer location in AD (and indeed, for laptops you can't be accurate)
April 13th, 2011 10:50am

you dont need to set the computer location in AD (and indeed, for laptops you can't be accurate) Thank you.
April 13th, 2011 11:11am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics