Strict Standards: Non-static method Settings::setHostName() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_lib\AutoConfig.php on line 20

Strict Standards: Non-static method Settings::addHostAlias() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_lib\AutoConfig.php on line 22

Strict Standards: Non-static method Settings::setSiteRoot() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_lib\AutoConfig.php on line 28

Strict Standards: Non-static method Settings::setDsn() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_site\Config.php on line 16

Strict Standards: Non-static method Settings::setTitle() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_site\Config.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method Settings::setDescription() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_site\Config.php on line 20

Strict Standards: Non-static method Settings::setSiteRoot() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_site\Config.php on line 24

Strict Standards: Non-static method Settings::setShowDeleted() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_site\Config.php on line 31

Strict Standards: Non-static method Settings::setRecentTopicsDuration() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_site\Config.php on line 36

Strict Standards: Non-static method Settings::test() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_lib\Init.php on line 28

Strict Standards: Non-static method Skin::test() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_lib\Init.php on line 29

Strict Standards: Non-static method Settings::getSkin() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_lib\Skin.php on line 102

Strict Standards: Non-static method Settings::getSiteRoot() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_lib\Init.php on line 32

Strict Standards: Non-static method Settings::getDsn() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_lib\Init.php on line 35

Strict Standards: Non-static method Form::field() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_lib\Init.php on line 39

Strict Standards: Non-static method Form::fieldExists() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_lib\Entity\User.php on line 92

Strict Standards: Non-static method Form::fieldExists() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\topic.php on line 15

Strict Standards: Non-static method Form::field() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\topic.php on line 17

Strict Standards: Non-static method Settings::getShowDeleted() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_lib\Entity\Topic.php on line 138

Strict Standards: Non-static method Entity_Post::queryPosts() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\topic.php on line 21

Strict Standards: Non-static method Settings::getShowDeleted() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_lib\Entity\Post.php on line 111

Strict Standards: Non-static method Skin::showHeader() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\topic.php on line 23

Strict Standards: Non-static method Skin::includeFile() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_lib\Skin.php on line 46

Strict Standards: Non-static method Settings::getSkin() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_lib\Skin.php on line 91
Print services and driver deployment?? (Network Steve Forum)
Print services and driver deployment??
hi, im setting up multiple roles on a server 2008 machine for educational purposes. I have just installed the Print Serives role, and want all printing to be directed though my server and qeues managed by the server, errors logged etc... I am having trouble deploying or even adding the drivers for the different operating systems. Each time i try add the drivers for my printer (Brother MFC-7360N) downloaded from the brother website for the different operating systems, it says that the driver is incompatible or says the file contains no information for the hardware etc etc. My next question is, how do i setup printers to be directed through the server. Do i specify the server IP and a TCP/IP port or the printer IP, if i specify the printer ip, how does the server handle qeues and errors etc? I have shared the printer through windows server 2008, but still cant get the queue to display on the server. Thanks!
December 31st, 2011 12:44am

I would have ask here. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverprint/threads Thanks
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 31st, 2011 6:23am

First things first, use printmanagement.msc for all you local printer administration. The devices folder is not launched with any admininstators security token. Be sure to check x86 when adding 32bit drivers to the server. When sharing the printers and thus the print drivers, the driver names must match. The Brother 32bit driver name must match the 64 bit driver name. PCL does NOT equal PS. You can share a locally connected device or one that has a network card. In the network card case, most times, you will create a Standard TCP/IP Port using the hostname or IP address of the device. I normally stick with the hostname since the device obtains the address with DHCP and the address will change if the device is moved. If you are using a setup program from Brother to install the 32bit driver most likely this will not work. Contact Brother and find their process to use Have Disk in Add Driver Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
December 31st, 2011 7:06am

see thats the problem, i cant find the drivers with have disk. I can however install the 32bit drivers for server 2008, but cant add any other drivers ie. windows 7, XP, Vista for deployment.
December 31st, 2011 2:42pm

Most of cases it will work give a try and check.
December 31st, 2011 2:56pm

Once you have the 2008 32bit drivers you are done. Windows 2000 to Windows 7 all support type 3 print drivers.Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
December 31st, 2011 5:19pm

im afraid this is still a no go.... i have sucessfully installed the server 2008 r2 36bit drivers, but the documents fail to print... Also, when installing the printer, it keeps saying failed to connect to printer....wheather or not this is to try and obtain the driver from the printer, im not sure, but when i select the driver, it installs but fails to print however, all client pc can print directly to the printer..? and, i can ping the printer from the server! Thanks!
December 31st, 2011 6:49pm

Use the drivers available for this device from Windows Update. If you are running 2008 R2, use Windows Update rather than the Have Disk. This will get the 64bit driver. For the 32bit driver you will need to download the file from Windows Update and use expand to place the files in folders after which you can specify x86 and Have Disk option to install. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323166/en-US How to download updates that include drivers and hotfixes from the Windows Update CatalogAlan Morris Windows Printing Team
December 31st, 2011 8:43pm

You also need to setup a shared folder on your print server and make sure the clients can see the files on the share. If they cannot, the sharing issue has nothing to do with the printer.Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
December 31st, 2011 8:45pm

this is not an issue, sharing is fine. The server has been running fine with no issues regarding sharing etc Im just trying to PRINT directly from the server, before i worry about sharing the printer. I need to print from the server. Im not sure whats wrong. The driver installs sucessfully, but the printer receives nothing? Thanks! UPDATE: I just did a network search for the printer on the server. It found nothing, however on all client PCs the printer is found via a printer network scan. What could this be? Also, just before initiating the scan, it said "Windows could not start the TCP/IP printer part of this search because another TCP/IP search is already running. To run the TCP/IP ppart of this search wait until other printer searches have finished and try again" any ideas? Thanks for your help!
December 31st, 2011 9:02pm

When using Add Network Printer wizard, any printer that was previously detected and has a network port assigned will not be displayed. You are running multiple network scans. It's pretty easy to do especially when TSed to the server. Use the print driver on Windows Update if the driver you downloaded is not working for you. Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
December 31st, 2011 9:52pm

ok, but something doesnt look right here, or im not understanding it. I have removed all TCP/IP ports, and i have multiple (20+) TS001 to TS029 which i dont know what they are? However, when doing a network search it doesnt find the printer, so i restarted the server, and tried again and it found the printer after a fresh restart. I then added the printer and it appears the test page printed sucessfully. However, after that the printer went offline. (I changed the printer name and share name and thats it) Now when i try run another printer network scan i get the same error message. Ive tried restarting all services associated with it. Also, when the network scan showed the avaliable printers, it had the MFC-7360N and MFC-7360N WebServices. I dont think this printer has any web services associated with it as i cant access the printer via browser? is this right or am i missing something? also how do i get drivers from windows update? do i use the catelogue? When i add the printer via a TCP/IP port, it says contacting printer and then says that the device could not be contacted or something. However all other client pcs can add the printer via TCP/IP (which is static at 192.168.0.200) and i can ping it Thanks!
December 31st, 2011 10:03pm

Ok so heres an update, I managed to get the printer installed and printing...all looking fine but left it for 30 minutes and now the printer keeps going offline and i cant get it back online? a reboot and reinstall fixes this issue. (i also noticed that the printer enters a "Deep Sleep" mode? could this have something to do with it, however it does not do this on any other client computers! any ideas for what this could be... also i noticed on the brother support and downloads page,there are no drivers for windows server 2008 r2 32bit. only windows server 2008 r2 64bit, server 2008 32 & 64bit, is this going to be a problem? i am running server 2008 r2 32bit Thanks for the help!! its going offline every 20 - 30 minutes
January 1st, 2012 3:56am

can someone please help me out?
January 1st, 2012 6:10pm

It sounds like you have some nework connectivity issues interfering with the traffic from the device. Do you have special firewall setting on the server that differ for client machine. Are you using the machine for multiple roles? Deep Sleep is a function of the device. Not a clue what this does. 2008 R2 is only available as a 64bit operating system. If you have a 32bit server version you are running 2008 (Service Pack 2 is the latest). Unless you want to use the server as a Remote Desktop server, disable Printer Redirection for any TS logon. The TSnnn redirection ports are annoying and since you are new at this, the last thing you need is to drag over test print driver onto your production machine that take out the print spooler service. The device supports Web Service on Devices. If you can't open the web page on the printer 192.168.0.200, it looks like something with your network configuration. Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
January 1st, 2012 6:16pm

thanks for your reply, i know its weird as ive had a few different printers and ive never had an issue with web services. I can ping the printer, and all prints fine from client pcs so i cant see what this is, i will check firewall settings. As for disabling the TS printer redirection? how do i do this? i have to say i have done nothing whatsoever with TS as i would rather have Hyper-V before playing around with that side of this for desktop virtualation etc. As for the server 2008 r2 32/64 bit, if you only get server 2008 r2 in 64bit, i must be running server 2008 as i definitely have a 32bit os, so i will try thise drivers. As for the webpage, when i do a network scan, i find 2 printers, Brother MFC-7360N and Brother MFC-7360N Web Services. Which do i install? Ive honestly never had so much problems with a printer, however this is the first time installing it on a server. All i want to do is manage print queues etc. I disabled SNMP on the printer after it went offline after 20 minutes or so, then it never went offline again, but when i try print it just failed instantly. Thanks for your help!!
January 1st, 2012 7:15pm

Thanks alan for your help! i think i solved it. Installed the server 2008 32bit drivers. Have marked you as answer! However, i cant get client PCs to find the shared printer when adding a printer. If i try to add a printer and scan the network, i can find the network printer ie. \\SERVER\PrinterName i only find the direct address of the printer and the WebServices. So i would like all clients to print via the server, not directly to the printer, that way i can manage queues etc. All clients and server are on the MSHOME workgroup. I have no problems sharing folders and files etc. Any ideas? Thanks again!
January 1st, 2012 10:08pm

Ok printer went offline again! So i know this is a big issue on windows 7 and Vista, but have you got any ideas for me? It went offline when i tried to add the printer over a TCP/IP port over my VPN. The printer wouldnt add then when i checked it, it was offline. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, im out of options!
January 2nd, 2012 12:17am

Abolutely by design for workgroup configurations when there are greater than 20 machines in your workgroup. I assume you want to configure the clients so they will not find the IP connection to the device. You will need to configure the group policy on each client machine. You will need Pro or greater to accomplish this. Launch gpedit.msc. Computer Config / Admin Templates / Printer / Add Printer Wizard - Network scan page (Unmanaged networks) You can change any of these. These are the defaults If this setting is not configured, the Add Printer wizard will display the default number of printers of each type: TCP/IP printers: 50 Web Services printers: 50 Bluetooth printers: 10 Shared printers: 50Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
January 2nd, 2012 6:54pm

Are you seeing the Offline on the server? Did you already configure the device so it does not go to sleep? I assume you unchecked SNMP on the port configuration not disabled SNMP on the device.Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
January 2nd, 2012 6:57pm

I normally just configure Terminal Services on the server and uncheck the Printer redirection. Someone on TS forum can best direct you. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverTS/threadsr Web Services will create a WSD Port and print using the WSD protocols. Adding a printer to the HOSTNAME of the device would be best. Use Add Printer from Printmanagement.msc. TCP/IP, select TCP rather than auto detect, enter the HOSTNAME from the device network configuration page. Use the driver included in Server 2008.Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
January 2nd, 2012 7:03pm

ok so i need to purchase ts from microsoft correct?
January 2nd, 2012 11:47pm

No, it's included. You are using Terminal Services to access the print server, thus the runaway TSnnn printer ports.Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
January 3rd, 2012 8:48am

ok thanks Alan for your help! Ive followed this guide here http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/terminal-services/printing/windows-terminal-services-printing.html and selected the TS Easy Print Driver, also set all the setting in Group policy editor, such as fall back drivers etc. Also preventing the use of NT Drivers etc. Now i just dont understand how to add the printer using the TS easy print driver. It says the printer will be added automatically with the fallback driver assigned? is there something im missing? Also, when searching for the printer over the network from add printer wizard no printers are found, but they are found on client PCs. Also when i specify the new port TCP/IP it cant contact the printer for configuration, ports etc? so im on RAW port 9100 THanks!
January 3rd, 2012 6:53pm

Disable printer redirection completely on the print server. You will not be using the Easy Print driver at all.Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
January 4th, 2012 10:33pm

so ive narrowed it down a bit.. If i restart the server, i can do a network search for printers, and it finds the printer and the web services printer fine. But when left, the printer goes offline after about 20 minutes. Then if i try to do another network search for the printer, i receive the following error "Windows could not start the TCP/IP printer part of this search because another TCP/IP search is already running. To run the TCP/IP ppart of this search wait until other printer searches have finished and try again" If i reboot, all is fine again. Is something stopping or interfearing with my TCP/IP print service? have you got any ideas on how i could troubleshoot this issue? Thanks!
January 7th, 2012 6:53pm

The message you receives occurs when two instances of the network printer scan software have been launched. You cannot run more than one instance at a time. You can force this failure by TSing to the machine in two sessions and launching the network scan from both sessions. I assume you are launching the Network Printer Installation Wizard, clicking Search the network for printers. Quite frankly when setting up a print share you should target the HOSTNAME of the device rather than the IP unless you have the printer configured with a static address The network search should take less than two minutes but it will search the subnet defined for each network card installed on the machine. If you have multiple NICs and one of them is not properly configured or you have a NAT running in your configuration, check there. How many network cards are installed on the machine? Have you configured static or dynamic addresses. Have you configured IPv4 and IPv6 addressing? Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
January 7th, 2012 9:15pm

i have a static IP set on the printer, and can ALWAYS ping it. Regarding the printer installation wizard, i only ever have one instance of the printer search running? The server is setup with only 1 NIC, running multiple roles such as DHCP server etc etc. It just seems like some kind of server is hanging, and bringing down the printer as when i do the first printer search all works fine, then 20 minutes later the printer goes offline and i CANNOT do another printer search until i restart. I get that error Ive tried restarting the Print Spooler and TCP/IP Print services. Ive also tried searching and installing HotFixes from microsoft with no luck. Thanks!
January 7th, 2012 9:24pm

The search relies on SNMP calls. SNMP Server need not be configured but any hang in SNMP would cause a problem. Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
January 7th, 2012 9:38pm

ok how would i check for SNMP packets that are hanging? I use Microsoft Network Monitor to monitor traffic. Would this be the cause of that error? Im sure something is definitly wrong. Thanks! UPDATE: I have a D-Link DES3226S Switch, which has SNMP, web-based management, RMON monitoring. Could it be the switch that is restricting SNMP traffic?
January 8th, 2012 1:04am

The message you receives occurs when two instances of the network printer scan software have been launched. You cannot run more than one instance at a time. You can force this failure by TSing to the machine in two sessions and launching the network scan from both sessions. I assume you are launching the Network Printer Installation Wizard, clicking Search the network for printers. Quite frankly when setting up a print share you should target the HOSTNAME of the device rather than the IP unless you have the printer configured with a static address The network search should take less than two minutes but it will search the subnet defined for each network card installed on the machine. If you have multiple NICs and one of them is not properly configured or you have a NAT running in your configuration, check there. How many network cards are installed on the machine? Have you configured static or dynamic addresses. Have you configured IPv4 and IPv6 addressing? Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
January 8th, 2012 5:13am

Once you clear up the network configuration issue, how this affects printing should be resolved. Until then, add the printer using the static address and uncheck SNMP. As long as the device can still except data, it will still print. Disabling SNMP in the port configuration will remove the SNMP query to the device for current status.Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
January 8th, 2012 10:07am

Well the printer just stayed online for 1 day now, and just went offline again. I have a feeling this may not be SNMP related as when the printer goes offline, i am unable to print, i get an error printing.
January 8th, 2012 4:08pm

So i found there was a IP conflict with RRAS and my DHCP range for my VPN. So all is good now however, when clients computers print (via the shared printer on the server) the printed documents and pending/spooling docuemts dont appear in the queue? Any idea? Thanks!
January 10th, 2012 9:40pm

Great glad you found your network configuration problem. I'm guessing the clients are not connected to your print server and printing directly to the device. Brother may have an option to allow only specific IP addresses the ability to print. You can pull out the Brother printer manual for that configuration option. Enable print logging on your server to see which clients are sending data Spooler events are in Applications and Services \ Microsoft \Windows \ Print Service. Enable the Operational logs. Let's close on this thread. Any other print related questions should start in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverprint/threads Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
January 10th, 2012 9:51pm

ok sweet as thanks for your help ill start a new topic on this as clients are adding the shared printer by the server, so printing via the printer thanks
January 10th, 2012 10:02pm

Strict Standards: Non-static method Settings::getRecentTopicsLimit() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_lib\Entity\Topic.php on line 120

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics

Strict Standards: Non-static method Skin::showFooter() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\topic.php on line 119

Strict Standards: Non-static method Skin::includeFile() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_lib\Skin.php on line 56

Strict Standards: Non-static method Settings::getSkin() should not be called statically in C:\website\www.networksteve.com\forum\_lib\Skin.php on line 91