Print server creation Server 2012 powershell

Scenario:

Domain migration from existing 2003 to new (untrusted) 2012 R2. About 2 dozen IP printers to install. Most HP, some others (Lexmark, Brother). No existing print server.

Goal is to create print server on DC using powershell (don't want to have to work through GUI, also trying to create repeatable process to use on other clients).

I can install the print server easily enough. I understand the commands required (add-printerport, add-printer, etc.) with one glaring exception. Add-printerdriver specifies a printer driver name to use. Where do I find this information? All the documentation states to use the windows drivers (and I'm fine with that) but I don't see how to tell what name I should use for a specific printer. For example: I have a HP 2055dn. How do I determine what name to use for the driver? If I install it through the GUI, go into printer properties, advanced, I can see the name and then remove/reinstall the driver through PS with that name. But I don't want to install via the GUI just to get a name.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Charlie

August 24th, 2015 4:03pm

The name is the one the vendor states in the inf installation file included with the driver.

Parse the inf file or pull the names then place them in the file with port and printer information and read from file.

If you do not use the drivers included in Windows you will need to install the drivers to the driverstore prior to adding them using powershell

I have covered this in this forum before here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/7b7e61e6-5681-4125-977a-4eb36984089d/addprinterdriver-to-remote-servers?forum=winserverprint

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 25th, 2015 12:13am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics