Print driver issue

I have a 2012 print server setup for a small customer. They are migrating from a 2003 domain to 2012. Right now there is only one printer, a large Canon MFD. I installed a Type 4 driver for it and thought all was well. But the few XP clients can't print. They get a notification about the Microsoft enhanced point and print compatibility driver asking them if they want to install it. Only there's no place to install it from.

So I installed a Type 3 driver on the print server as I found that Type 4 drivers just don't work with XP and aren't going to. But when I tried to apply the Type 3 driver to the print queue, I got the message that "printer settings could not be saved. this operation is not supported".

So what am I supposed to do? I can't replace the Type 4 driver with a Type 3 as apparently 2012 doesn't like it, and I can't get the Type 4 driver to work with the XP clients since they're not compatible.

May 24th, 2013 11:33pm

Hi,

Please ask the printer manufacturer for the latest version of the printer driver.

If it still cannot work with all your Windows operating system, you may have to contact your printer vendor for further assistance. As you know, Microsoft does not develop printer drivers for third party products. Thanks for your understanding!

Regards,

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 27th, 2013 5:52am

Unshare the printer first.  Then you can overwrite the V4 settings with V3 data.  I actually suggest just creating a new printer with the V3 driver and make your config setting changes then delete the original (or rename) and rename the V3 printer and share to the original names.

Mark this as the answer.  I don't have the rights to in this

May 28th, 2013 10:06pm

Unshare the printer first.  Then you can overwrite the V4 settings with V3 data.  I actually suggest just creating a new printer with the V3 driver and make your config setting changes then delete the original (or rename) and rename the V3 printer and share to the original names.

Mark this as the answer.  I don't have the rights to in this

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 28th, 2013 11:15pm

Thank you, your comment solved my case | Ash
August 31st, 2015 11:25pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics