Previous Versions listing not showing Win7 but visible in WinXP
I have two Win2008 R2 X64 file servers displaying the same problem. This is a recent problem as I believe I looked at previous version two or three days ago. When I bring up previous versions via UNC path from a Windows 7 desktop it tells the user that there are no previous versions, however bringing up the exact same UNC path on a Windows XP SP3 system shows previous versions. The same behavior is displayed on Win2008 vs. Win2003 systems where they don't show on 2008 but do on 2003. On either of the two file servers I can see that there are shadow copies listed when I go the Shadow Copies tab under Disk Management. The storage disks are located on an iSCSI SAN. Any idea on what the cause and more importantly the solution might be? I am fairly certain this is a server side issue as it doesn't matter which client I go to they all exhibit the same thing. Now I will say that in the intervening period we did have a power failure to the iSCSI switches, but once power was restored access to the files and folders was restored. Steve
March 17th, 2011 5:39pm

Hi, You could read the following KB: Previous versions of a file or of a folder in a DFS share are not listed if you access the share through a nested DFS link from a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466048 Best Regards DalePlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 21st, 2011 3:17am

Hello, We aren't using DFS in this particular instance. After some troubleshooting and research we felt that given preceeding events where we'd suffered a loss of the iSCSI switch that it was probably related. Why else would two servers both suddenly loose previous versions. We restarted both over the weekend and we were able to see them on Win7 and Win2008 systems. The only thing we can figure is that the SMB2 protocol or some related element of that didn't recover gracefully after the restoration of the switches. SteveSteve
March 22nd, 2011 11:39am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics