Preview has one extra parameter than the parameter list -SSRS

Hi Team,

I am working on existing ssrs report. When I see the preview I could see the extra parameter than the actual parameter. 

How do I know , when this parameter is coming in the preview ?

Thanks for the help. 

August 21st, 2015 11:23am

Hi Kiranshiva,

All the rdl files are in XML. So to find the extra parameter in the report , just edit the rdl file in Notepad or Notepad++ and then do Ctrl +f and search for the parameter.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 11:36am

I am not good at reading the XML file. 

When I opened the file with notepad++ . I just see the parameter prompt and parameter value lines. How is in the report , I mean was it hide somewhere etc...

Thanks.

August 21st, 2015 1:02pm

Hi Kiran

if you right click your rdl file and then View code .It will show you in xml  code behind and then search the Report parameter tag and if you see your hidden parameter  in any of tags under Report parameter tag. Then try to remove that tag and save the report and then run it.

This should be something like below image

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 1:21pm

Hi kiranshiva,

According to your description, when you run the report, the extra parameter displays while it doesnt appear under Parameters in Report Data pane before previewing the report, right?

In Reporting Services, the variables exist in a dataset query or input parameters in a dataset stored procedure will be created as report parameters automatically in Report Data pane. The parameter list is the same as in the preview result.

As we tested in our environment, if the report is loaded in a report server project, then we add an extra parameter tag in rdl code. When we save the code then run the report, the extra parameter will not display in Report Data pane automatically but it will display in preview result. So in your scenario, please save and close the report, then open the report again, the number of parameters in Report Data should be the same as in the preview result.

If issue persists, please run the query or execute the stored procedure in dataset, check if there is an extra parameter which hasn't displayed in Report Data pane. Then please click Refresh Fields button.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Qiuyun Yu

August 23rd, 2015 10:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics