Prevent users to check names from other OU's
We have multiple users in different OU's. Now when a users edits permissions on his local machine he's able to see the users from the other ou's. Is there a way to prevent the users from checking these names. The user must stil be able to check names from his own OU. Any suggestion is welcome
July 8th, 2010 5:55pm

Yep. Please google "List Object Mode". It is a little-known Active Directory feature that was designed specifically for hosters. It does exactly what you are asking about.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 8th, 2010 6:30pm

Hi Remco8888 , Thanks for posting here. According you mentioned , i think you are going to disallow users who not included in this OU to see or list object of this OU . If I misunderstand that ,please let me know. Base on my knowledge , this can be achieved with set OU security permission ,here is an workaround for you reference: I assume OU’s name is “people” and “Hide” 1. Create a Security Group called “VISIBLE”(can be any name) and make all the users of “people” OU member of this Group(this can be done by selecting all the users under the “people” OU and right click “Add to a Group”) 2. Right click on “Hide” OU go to properties->Security->Advanced and click on add. Add the “VISIBLE” Group and click ok it will open up the "permission entry” box. Make sure “apply onto” is been selected to “ This object and all child objects”. Check the box of “Deny” for “List Contents” and say “ok” 3. Login as one of the user account of “people” OU and see if we can see the users of “Hide” OU. Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 9th, 2010 9:41am

Thanks for your reply. I've tested your solution and indeed it seems to do the trick. Maybe it's handy for some user to say that this actions have to be done in ADSI Edit.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 9th, 2010 1:38pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics