Prevent BIDS Cube Deployment Over Writing Data Sources

Hi all

We have a number of SSAS cubes which have always been edited "online" when changes are made.  I've been doing some work to get these into TFS and set up deployment from BIDS to make our development and release processes more robust.  I've gotten all this working fine except for one issue.

We have test and live SSAS servers, and deployed cubes need to use different data sources when deployed to each of these servers.  So if I deploy to the test server, the connection string of the data source needs to point to our test data warehouse and the live server needs to point to our live data warehouse.

Is there a way to automate this based on the project configuration?  I can use this to set this which server I deploy to by creating test/live configs but it will always deploy with whichever connection string was in the data source when I last checked in to TFS.  I have to manually edit the connection string each time I deploy which is obviously error prone.

For our SSRS projects we deploy reports without over writing data sources to get around this issue but not sure if this is possible in SSAS hence the question!

Thanks

May 29th, 2015 12:40pm

I'm pretty sure that the SSAS deployment wizard will let you script out a deployment and specify the connection strings to use for the various data sources. It's not quite as good as the "do not overwrite" option in SSRS, but it is possible to drive the deployment wizard from the command line.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 31st, 2015 6:12am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics