Powershell to Get Memory

Hello,

I am running SCOM 2012 R2.  I would like to know if there is a Powershell command to retrieve the amount of physical memory in my clients.  I need to know which computers are under 8GB so I can upgrade them.

June 18th, 2015 9:48am

Get-WMIObject -class win32_physicalmemory -computer $computer | where { $_.capacity -lt "8000000000"}

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 18th, 2015 10:32am

Hello,

I tried your command and I get:

Get-WmiObject : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'ComputerName'. The argument is null or empty

I am looking for a way to list all of the computers in one column and their physical memory in another column.  I currently do that with their MAC addresses so I would like the same results if it's possible.

June 18th, 2015 10:36am

Import-Module activedirectory

$Computers = Get-ADComputer -filter *

Foreach($Computer in $Computers){

Get-WMIObject -class win32_physicalmemory -computer $Computer.samaccountname | where { $_.capacity -lt "8000000000"} | Format-Table devicelocator, capacity -a

}
June 18th, 2015 10:57am

Hello,

Can you please give me instructions on how to apply this?  Im not too familiar with Powershell.

June 18th, 2015 11:19am

1. On a server with ADDS (Active Directory Domain Services) installed or at least the Active Directory PS module
  2. Create the folder c:\scripts
  3. Create a txt file and copy the script into it
  4. Save the txt file and rename it whatever.ps1 (the .ps1 extension is the important part)
  5. Open a powershell window
  6. Run c:\scripts\whatever.ps1
  7. Read outputs
  8. Hack the Gibson
  9. Save the princess
  10. Live long and prosper 
June 18th, 2015 12:35pm

Hello,

Unfortunately I do not have access to the AD servers.  I have to be able to do it solely through SCOM.  Btw..I love #9 and #10.  You should add #11.  May The Force be with you.

June 18th, 2015 12:53pm

Import-Module operationsmanager

$SCOMMS = "YourManagementServerGoesHere"

$class = Get-SCOMClass -Name Microsoft.Windows.Computer -ComputerName $SCOMMS
$Computers = Get-SCOMClassInstance -ComputerName $SCOMMS | where {$_.MonitoringClassIds -eq $class.id} 

Foreach($Computer in $Computers){

Get-WMIObject -class win32_physicalmemory -computer $Computer.displayname | where { $_.capacity -lt "8000000000"} | Format-Table pscomputername, capacity -a

}
June 18th, 2015 2:01pm

Hello,

When I run this I get the following:

Get-WmiObject : Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
At C:\Memory.PS1:11 char:18
+     Get-WMIObject <<<<  -class win32_physicalmemory -computer $Computer.displayname | where { $_.capacity -lt "800000
0000"} | Format-Table pscomputername, capacity -a
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-WmiObject], UnauthorizedAccessException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.UnauthorizedAccessException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetWmiObjectCommand

June 19th, 2015 9:37am

Hello,

As I ran it again, I realized what was going on.  This process runs and queries each client instead of querying the SCOM DB.  That's why I got the RPC error, because it scanned a conputer that was off.  Am I correct?  If that's the case, then this wont work for me.  I was looking for something similar to the way I retrieve MAC and IP addresses, which is from the DB and not a query of each computer.  Is it possible to do it with memory as well?

June 19th, 2015 9:55am

There are two ways to display SCOM agent physical memory

1) Using operations console --> Monitoring --> Discovered Inventory and change it type into Windows Server Operating System

2) Using the following powershell

get-scomclass -displayname 'Windows Server Operating System' | get-scomclassinstance |ft ``[Microsoft.Windows.OperatingSystem`].physicalMemory, ``[Microsoft.Windows.Computer`].PrincipalName

Roger

June 20th, 2015 4:52am

1) Using operations console --> Monitoring --> Discovered Inventory and change it type into Windows Server Operating System

get-scomclass -displayname 'Windows Server Operating System' | get-scomclassinstance |ft ``[Microsoft.Windows.OperatingSystem`].physicalMemory, ``[Microsoft.Windows.Computer`].PrincipalName

Roger

• Marked as answer by jsetaro 14 hours 57 minutes ago
June 20th, 2015 8:50am

Roger

• Marked as answer by jsetaro Monday, June 22, 2015 4:13 PM
June 20th, 2015 8:50am

Hello,

They both worked like a charm.  Thank you so much.

June 22nd, 2015 12:15pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics