Powershell one-liner to add domain user to a local group

I'm looking for a one liner that can be typed in to add a domain user to a local group.  I know it can be done using net.exe but with the trend to move admin controls to powershell I doubt net.exe will be around much longer.  (It has issues with multiple domains anyway.)

So I'm looking for a powershell equivalent to this:

net localgroup administrators /add DomainA\User1

v3 for Win8/2012 is fine, this is for new stuff.

I've seen a 2004 blog post for a script to do this but I'm looking for a oneliner about the size of the net command.

Thanks!

September 21st, 2012 11:32pm

I don't think you're going to be fortunate to get that short of a command for local groups in PowerShell, but I could be wrong.  Technically speaking there is nothing "wrong" with running "net localgroup administrators /add DomainA\User1" from within PowerShell.  You could get fancier and literally pass that command to Invoke-Expression, but I get that's not what you are after.

A little newer Hey, Scripting Guy! Blog post might be what you are after Use PowerShell to Add Domain Users to a Local Group

However, he only gets it down to 2 lines of code:

$de = [ADSI]"WinNT://$computer/$Group,group" 
$de.psbase.Invoke("Add",([ADSI]"WinNT://$domain/$user").path)

Someone might be able to wrap that into a single line, but that might be as short as it gets in this case right now.

• Marked as answer by StefMahoney Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:40 PM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 22nd, 2012 12:12am

I don't think you're going to be fortunate to get that short of a command for local groups in PowerShell, but I could be wrong.  Technically speaking there is nothing "wrong" with running "net localgroup administrators /add DomainA\User1" from within PowerShell.  You could get fancier and literally pass that command to Invoke-Expression, but I get that's not what you are after.

A little newer Hey, Scripting Guy! Blog post might be what you are after Use PowerShell to Add Domain Users to a Local Group

Someone might be able to wrap that into a single line, but that might be as short as it gets in this case right now.

• Marked as answer by StefMahoney Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:40 PM
September 22nd, 2012 12:12am

There's another post by Ed here.

I wouldn't be concerned with one liners. This can easily be made into a function so you can call it by a simple one liner.

example:

Add-UserToLocalGroup -User barnesa -LocalGroup Administrators

September 22nd, 2012 12:41am

To add to Andrew's excellent post I suggest looking in the repository as there are numerous scripts there that will do this.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/dd793612.aspx

And I and lobbying for users to look first into the repository because you will find much to use and will like what you find.  Forgive me for my crassness but I failed "Marketing 101".  It put me to sleep.

September 22nd, 2012 1:51am

Andrew, where can I find this function Add-UserToLocalGroup ? I need some module-import?

http://www.petri.co.il/managing-local-user-accounts-with-powershell.htm

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Local-Account-Management-a777191b

September 22nd, 2012 7:16pm

What Andrew meant was that you could wrap this code in a function:

$de
.psbase.Invoke("Add",([ADSI]"WinNT://$domain/$user").path)

You would need to pass it at least three parameters: Computer, Group, and User.  The domain could be hard-coded.

September 23rd, 2012 10:34am

I need to read with more attention...  "This can easily be made into a function "
September 23rd, 2012 2:39pm

Cheers all:

A one liner to the rescue:

# use one line to add a user to a local group
([ADSI]"WinNT://$computer/$Group,group").psbase.Invoke("Add",([ADSI]"WinNT://$domain/$user").path)
#
#

Of course we can cheet a bit and write function all in one line(it is not really a one-liner;) )

# a function all on one line
function Add-LocalUser{Param($computer=$env:computername,$group='Guests',$userdomain=$userdomain,$useraccount=$username)([ADSI]"WinNT://$computer/$Group,group").psbase.Invoke("Add",([ADSI]"WinNT://$domain/$user").path)}
#
#
#

Of course making this readable is always preferred.

function Add-LocalUser{
     Param(
        $computer=$env:computername,
        $group='Guests',
        $userdomain=$env:userdomain,
        $username=$env:username
    )
        ([ADSI]"WinNT://$computer/$Group,group").psbase.Invoke("Add",([ADSI]"WinNT://$domain/$user").path)
}

It is also really easy now to add help.  Just add one single line and you will get:
     help Add-LocalUser
     Add-LocalUser -?
     -debug
     -verbose,
     -erroraction,
     -errorvriable,
     -warningaction,
     -warningvariable,
     -outvariable,
     -outbuffer

And much much more.

All this for one very simple line of code added to a function. (?one line?)

September 23rd, 2012 7:50pm

Nicely done, JRV. Coming up with one-liner solutions is a bit of a challenge, however, using them is even more of a challenge, and ususally more work, more typing, and more chance of error than embedding the code in a function that *is* easier to invoke with a one-liner command.

September 23rd, 2012 8:17pm

Al - yes - One-liners are nice at the console, I use them all of the time.  When one-liners are too complicated they can be couterproductive and, as you noted, prone to errors that are difficult to analyse.

September 23rd, 2012 8:58pm

Thanks guys.

This is for a server just a few seconds after it has an IP address, so I don't have the option of using prebuilt code since everything has to be new off the disc.  Sounds like something for MS to consider including in their commandlets.

Thanks!

September 26th, 2012 12:42am

Nice two-liner. See jrv's onel-liner version.
September 26th, 2012 7:12am

I wrote mine like this, Just fill in your info and remove mine from the variables at the top..

It can be put into one line but I spread it out for easy reading and I am putting in about 40 of these in a row to add the same SQL Repl User into multiple SQL Security Groups.  Works like a charm! 

Thanks

WarParty

# use one line to add a user to a local group
$Computer = 'ExpressScriptsSQL33'

$Group = 'VHAWarSQLP'

$Domain = 'FQDN.WarParty.Com'

$User = 'DIT_SQLReplSvc'

#

May 7th, 2014 10:31am

could someone be so kind and add a loop to reference a machine.txt?
July 17th, 2014 10:54am

could someone be so kind and add a loop to reference a machine.txt?

No.  This thread is closed and answered.

July 17th, 2014 10:57am

Function add-Localuser { [cmdletbinding()] Param ( $Computer = '', $Group = 'Administrators', $Domain = 'SomeDomain.org', $User = 'SomeUserID') ( [ADSI]"WinNT://$computer/$Group,group").psbase.Invoke("Add",([ADSI]"WinNT://$domain/$user").path) }

#use one of these methods to get server names...Comment/uncomment whichever

#is preferred. Also make sure to pass/hard set the domain/user/group.

$machines = Get-Content C:\temp\MyServers.txt $machines = "MyServer0","MyServer1","MyServer2","MyServer3" foreach ($m in $machines) { add-Localuser -computer $m } # you can also change the "Add" in the function to "Remove" or add a

# parameter to pass it as a value.

February 5th, 2015 6:51am

A little late reply, I know.  You could wrap this into an invoke-command.

invoke-command -computername $computer -scriptblock {net localgroup administrators /add DomainA\User1}

Kind of cheating, but gets the job done in one line :)

August 10th, 2015 7:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics