Powershell WebAccess Error

I have set up PSWA on a Windows 2012 R2 server which also hosts AD DS. This is a lab environment. I am trying to access PS-Web via a client computer running windows 7. The above is the error i get. 

I have tried removing IIS & PSWA and reinstalling again, but to no help. Kindly help me out.

DC - PSLABDCLS01.pslab.in

CLIENT - PSLABW7LC02.pslab.in

Username - PSLAB\adm_pslabuser1

PSwaAuthorizationRule Cmdlet used - "Add-PSwaAuthorizationRule Rulename Users accessing PSWA configurationname microsoft.powershell usergroupname pslab\domain admins computername pslabdcls01.pslab.in"

Thank you in a

September 8th, 2015 2:52pm

Hi Soumyajyoti Biswas,

May I know how you configure the powershell gateway? Gernerally, configure a powershell web access including 3 steps: Installing Windows PowerShell Web Access >> Configuring the gateway >> Configuring authorization rules that allow users access to the web-based Windows PowerShell console.

You can verify the below link which provide a detailed steps about configure PSWA for more reference:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831611.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 11th, 2015 3:36am

Hello Elaine Jing,

Thank you for your reply.

I have followed the exact steps listed in the thread.

Still I have the error.

I will once remove everything and this time will configure IIS myself and see the result. I will keep you posted.

September 11th, 2015 3:43am

I tried manually, no luck. The error is still the same given below.

"The Windows PowerShell Web Access gateway cannot establish a connection to the destination computer. Contact the gateway administrator. The error at the gateway is: The WinRM client sent a request to an HTTP server and got a response saying the requested HTTP URL was not available. This is usually returned by a HTTP server that does not support the WS-Management protocol. "

September 11th, 2015 1:45pm

Remote Desktop to the client computer (PSLABW7LC02.pslab.in) and try the command below, in an elevated PowerShell console.

Enter-PSSession -Computer PSLABDCLS01.pslab.in

Another thing to try would be to Remote Desktop to the Domain Controller (PSLABDCLS01.pslab.in) and run the Test-WSMan cmdlet, in an elevated PowerShell console. Also be sure to read the PowerShell Web Access logs in the Event Viewer (Applications and Service Logs/Microsoft/Windows/PowerShellWebAccess). They will often include more information that what's reported on the PSWA webpage, for security reasons.

Edit: The thing about PSWA that I continually see is that people want to set it up and use it before they even set up and test PS Remoting between systems.

Edit2: Removed the first sentence. It was confusing.

September 11th, 2015 3:03pm

Hello tommymaynard,

Thank you for your reply. PS Remoting is setup in my lab as I was following up on Don-Jones video series and doing the labs along with.

I am installing PSWA on the DC itself - PSLABDCLS01.pslab.in

Still just as reference below are snips for Enter-PSSession 

I found an informational eventlog in PSWA with ID 261 which is entered below.

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-PowerShellWebAccess/Operational
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-PowerShellWebAccess
Date:          9/11/2015 11:11:07 PM
Event ID:      261
Task Category: Session start
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Authentication
User:          IIS APPPOOL\pswa_pool
Computer:      PSLABDCLS01.pslab.in
Description:
The Windows PowerShell session cannot be started.
  User name: pslab\adm_pslabuser1
  Origin IP adress (REMOTE_ADDR): 192.168.230.202
  Origin IP adress (HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR): <none>
  Error message: An error occurred during the sign-in process. Error details: Connecting to remote server pslabdcls01.pslab.in failed with the following error message : The WinRM client sent a request to an HTTP server and got a response saying the requested HTTP URL was not available. This is usually returned by a HTTP server that does not support the WS-Management protocol. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-PowerShellWebAccess" Guid="{EAD6595B-5613-414C-A5EE-069BB1ECA485}" />
    <EventID>261</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>13</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000008</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-09-11T17:41:07.331513600Z" />
    <EventRecordID>38</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation ActivityID="{EFBB0721-B52C-423C-B4AB-BD4ED87BF74E}" />
    <Execution ProcessID="1344" ThreadID="4064" />
    <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-PowerShellWebAccess/Operational</Channel>
    <Computer>PSLABDCLS01.pslab.in</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-82-2883991969-2481503881-2978453264-941640394-3614909656" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="UserName">pslab\adm_pslabuser1</Data>
    <Data Name="OriginIpAddressRemoteAddr">192.168.230.202</Data>
    <Data Name="OriginIpAddressHttpXForwardedFor">&lt;none&gt;</Data>
    <Data Name="FailureMessage">An error occurred during the sign-in process. Error details: Connecting to remote server pslabdcls01.pslab.in failed with the following error message : The WinRM client sent a request to an HTTP server and got a response saying the requested HTTP URL was not available. This is usually returned by a HTTP server that does not support the WS-Management protocol. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

September 11th, 2015 4:25pm

I would bet you are missing the WCF HTTP components.

September 11th, 2015 4:34pm

Remote Desktop to the client computer (PSLABW7LC02.pslab.in) and try the command below, in an elevated PowerShell console.

Enter-PSSession -Computer PSLABDCLS01.pslab.in

Another thing to try would be to Remote Desktop to the Domain Controller (PSLABDCLS01.pslab.in) and run the Test-WSMan cmdlet, in an elevated PowerShell console. Also be sure to read the PowerShell Web Access logs in the Event Viewer (Applications and Service Logs/Microsoft/Windows/PowerShellWebAccess). They will often include more information that what's reported on the PSWA webpage, for security reasons.

Edit: The thing about PSWA that I continually see is that people want to set it up and use it before they even set up and test PS Remoting between systems.

Edit2: Removed the first sentence. It was confusing.

September 11th, 2015 7:00pm

Hello jrv,

Thank you for your post. I will check and get back to you on this.

September 12th, 2015 2:36am

Hello jrv,

Installed the IIS featues under .Net 4.5 in Windows server 2012R2 (pslabdcls01) which is my gateway.

Installed the HTTP Activation one.

Still now working.

Could you tell me if I am missing some other component. 

If you need logs of anything else let me know.

September 12th, 2015 3:24am

I went through the whole setup on a new VMM of 2012R2.

Enable-PsRemoting -force

Server Manager - Features add PowerShell Web

Add-PSWA PSwaAuthorizationRule

Web server worked correctly

I used a direct rule for one admin account by name and only the DC Gateway.  Start with this and test.

The Features wizard will list all items that it will install.  There is  no reason to assume that this will fail except if you have pre-existing underling configuration errors.  If that is the case you may want to contact Microsoft Support for direct assistance.

September 12th, 2015 8:33am

Okay So i found a few things.

WinRM IIS extension is a feature to be added via server manager or the shell.

This has to be bound to the IIS site or virtual directory.

This should happen by default i am guessing but somehow is not happening in my case.

I will once again go for a fresh install to check. 

But this is not documented here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/hh831611.aspx

September 12th, 2015 12:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics