Powershell 4 transcription broken

Hi, after installing KB2919355 for Windows Server 2012R2 (or Windows 8.1) the transcription functionality of Powershell seems to be broken.

Input:

PS C:\Windows\system32> start-transcript c:\test.log
Transcript started, output file is c:\test.log
PS C:\Windows\system32> write-host "testing write-host"
testing write-host
PS C:\Windows\system32> "testing out-host" | out-host
testing out-host
PS C:\Windows\system32> stop-transcript
Transcript stopped, output file is C:\test.log
PS C:\Windows\system32>

Output:

Windows PowerShell transcript start
Start time: 20150428205107
Username: HHO\Henk
RunAs User: HHO\Henk
Machine: HHO (Microsoft Windows NT 6.3.9600.0)
Host Application: C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe
Process ID: 4508
Transcript started, output file is c:\test.log

PS C:\Windows\system32> write-host "testing write-host"

PS C:\Windows\system32> "testing out-host" | out-host
testing out-host

PS C:\Windows\system32> stop-transcript
Windows PowerShell transcript end
End time: 20150428205143
It was already asked in this thread: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cecc4f32-28c8-4bdc-be63-49ce3d396625/powershell-4-starttranscript-does-not-log-writehost?forum=winserverpowershell

But the last response from microsoft is that they are working on it, in februari, and it has been very silent since then.

I'd like to see a response from MSFT about this!

April 28th, 2015 2:58pm

To get a response from Microsoft you would need to place a support call.  MS does not share internal developments on the forums.

You can also search connect for the bug report to see if it is updated.

http://connect.microsoft.com/

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 28th, 2015 3:11pm

I agree with jrv. It's rather unlikely that you'll get a response from a member of the PowerShell team (or anyone from MSFT who has any relevant information) here. You'll get a response from a MSFT CSG, sure, but they're not members of the product teams.

To be perfectly honest, I was extremely surprised that the original thread got a MSFT response in the first place.

Connect is probably your best bet for an online response.

April 28th, 2015 3:35pm

alright, I opened a support call with MS to see if the issue can be resolved. I'll keep you updated. Bit annoyed by the original thread's response that they are working on it, with no mentioning about an expected resolve date.
April 28th, 2015 3:43pm

Good luck, I hope you get some positive information.
April 28th, 2015 3:49pm

Maybe I missed something in my testing, but I'm almost certain this only appeared when I installed KB3000850.

This was an issue in the past, and I had worked around it.  When it was fixed, I removed the workaround.  I would really like to avoid updating all my scripts again, I hope we get an answer.  Did you open a bug in Connect?  I searched and didn't find anything, but I may have missed it.

Edit: I found the issue in KB3000850 since it's a later rollup that includes everything in KB2919355

June 22nd, 2015 4:32pm

Maybe I missed something in my testing, but I'm almost certain this only appeared when I installed KB3000850.

This was an issue in the past, and I had worked around it.  When it was fixed, I removed the workaround.  I would really like to avoid updating all my scripts again, I hope we get an answer.  Did you open a bug in Connect?  I searched and didn't find anything, but I may have missed it.

Edit: I found the issue in KB3000850 since it's a later rollup that includes everything in KB2919355

• Edited by mg.mackie Monday, June 22, 2015 9:15 PM
June 22nd, 2015 8:30pm

• Edited by mg.mackie Monday, June 22, 2015 9:15 PM
June 22nd, 2015 8:30pm

Have you heard anything from Microsoft on this yet?
July 14th, 2015 2:43pm

Nope, nothing, but the issue seems to be gone when using powershell version 5, so I guess we just have to sit tight until WMF5 is RTM and then update to Posh 5 on the systems we are having this problem.

July 15th, 2015 2:19am

I kept digging and found Microsoft has a hotfix out:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3014136

July 15th, 2015 3:05pm

That's great, thanks for posting.
July 15th, 2015 3:12pm

• Proposed as answer by Mike Laughlin Wednesday, July 15, 2015 7:12 PM
July 15th, 2015 7:04pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics