Powershell 4.0 ISE runs scripts accordingly, but Windows Powershell terminal does not

Just when I thought I was done, I get hit with a small bug.  Okay, so I am facing an issue. The script below works fine in Powershell ISE, but when I want to execute it in  plain old Powershell command window, it does not do what it is intended to do. 

The script basically starts a performance counter that I have created. I posted a previous post about it , which I was able to resolve, but know I am left with this final bug. 

$folder = "C:\root"
$servers = @(gc $folder\perfmon_list.txt) # List of remote computers one per line

foreach ($server in $servers){

$servers = @(gc $folder\perfmon_list.txt) # List of remote computers one per line
$startprocess = Invoke-WmiMethod -computerName $server -Class Win32_Process -Name Create -ArgumentList "logman.exe start Triton_perf_$server"

}

September 9th, 2015 3:21pm

Hi,

What do you mean by 'does not do what it is intended to do'?

Perhaps this is a typo, but why are you reading your input file twice (inside of the loop, no less)?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2015 3:32pm

I showed you how too start remote counters.  Here it is again:

$servers=gc $folder\perfmon_list.txt foreach ($server in $servers){ logman.exe start Triton_perf_$server -s $server }

You do not want too remote the start.  logman is designed to start counters remotely that is why it has the "-s" option.

September 9th, 2015 3:38pm

Sorry, I do have a type on script I adjusted that before after copying and pasting.  Okay, so in powershell ISE,  the script starts my performance counter as intended, when I right click, and do run with powershell, it does not start my performance counter, and errors out. Unfortunately,  the error opens, and closes immediately, so I am unable to see what is the error. At the moment, I am trying to see how I can prevent the powershell window from closing out so fast. I think I may have to screw around with a registry change.

Thanks,

Jeff 

September 9th, 2015 3:42pm

This is your  version of the script:

foreach ($server in $servers){
     $startprocess = Invoke-WmiMethod -computerName $server -Class Win32_Process -Name Create -ArgumentList "logman.exe start Triton_perf_$server"
}

It is wrong and won't work any

September 9th, 2015 3:44pm

jrv,

I understand that, but I have to use that same concept to create two separate scripts one to start logman and two to  stop logman. These two scripts will then be executed through scheduled task. I am attempting to retrive the error I get. I just don't understand why it works in ISE, but not the command window.

September 9th, 2015 3:45pm

jrv,

I understand that, but I have to use that same concept to create two separate scripts one to start logman and two to  stop logman. These two scripts will then be executed through scheduled task. I am attempting to retrive the error I get. I just don't understand why it works in ISE, but not the command window.

Look at your script. It is wrong. are reading the server list.

September 9th, 2015 3:47pm

I will back track and see if I get it to work. I will use your example.  
September 9th, 2015 3:51pm

I was able to fix my problem in the following way: 

I used this as recommended by jrv

$servers=gc $folder\perfmon_list.txt foreach ($server in $servers){ logman.exe start Triton_perf_$server -s $server }

and the error turned out to be that I was missing my $folder variable

after Included the $folder = path

I was able to get this to work.

Thanks a lot jvr and everyone in this thread.

95% completed project.

Thanks, again

September 9th, 2015 4:24pm

what is that that you just posted?

Your explanation has nothing to do with the initial problem.

September 9th, 2015 5:02pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics