Power BI: How to set refresh for an excel file uploaded in PowerBi.com?

Hi All,

I have opened an account in powerbi.com and taken the 60 days trial for power bi pro. I've developed power pivot and generated power views in share point 2013. But, I'm new to Power BI desktop. I have created a report in power BI desktop and published to powerbi.com. Also, I have uploaded an excel file directly to powerbi.com and created the report from the workspace available there itself and pinned the report to dashboard also. Everything is fine till this. But, I need to refresh the file which I have uploaded. I have some dummy data in excel sheet.

ZipCode State ZipName
2345 AA AA
456 BB BB
6787 CC CC

This has been created as a table and then added to data model. So, power pivot has been created for the same. Then I have uploaded this file to powerbi.com site. But, I'm getting an error message while trying to schedule refresh for the same.

"You cannot schedule refresh for this dataset because it does not contain data model connections. You cannot schedule refresh on worksheet connections or linked tables. To schedule refresh the data must be loaded into the data model."

How can I create a data model connection? How can I schedule refresh for an excel file like this?

Regards,

Julie

September 9th, 2015 11:55am

Hi Liao,

Thanks for the reply.

I have gone through the links and followed the 2nd method.

I have created an excel work book with data model. The power pivot has been copied to one drive- personal. Then I have accessed this file from powerbi.com. Still I'm getting the same error. Please suggest

Regards,

Julie

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2015 11:47am

Hi Liao,

I am able to refresh the dataset after installing power BI gateway from Microsoft site.

Regards,

Julie

September 15th, 2015 2:46am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics