PowerShell - Setting targetAddress Active Directory attribute for all computers listed in CSV file

Hi,

I would like to add all the individual MAC addresses for each corresponding computer account in Active Directory through PowerShell. The list has already been created in a CSV file.

The column headers in the CSV file are as followed:

sAMAccountName,targetAddress

I checked the info in the CSV file list and the computer names and their corresponding mac addresses are on the same line seperated by a comma, so the CSV file is correct. There are over 100 computers in the list.

I want to write all the MAC addresses to the targetAddress attribute of each of their corresponding computer in AD, but my command is not working.

Here is my command:

Import-Csv c:\updateAD.csv | Set-ADcomputer -Identity { $_.sAMAccountName } -add @{targetAddress = $_.targetAddress}

Can someone help with the syntax, or perhaps I must use a different algorithm ?

Kind Regards,

June 19th, 2013 12:20am

Import-Csv c:\updateAD.csv | foreach { Set-ADcomputer -Identity { $_.sAMAccountName } -add @{targetAddress = $_.targetAddress} }

rgds,

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 19th, 2013 1:24pm

Import-Csv c:\updateAD.csv | foreach { Set-ADcomputer -Identity { $_.sAMAccountName } -add @{targetAddress = $_.targetAddress} }

rgds,

June 19th, 2013 4:24pm

rgds,

@ThomRegie: You should also remove the brackets around $_.sAMAccountName. The Identity-parameter needs a string. Wrapping it in brackets suggests script block.
June 19th, 2013 5:49pm

Are you sure you can set targetAddress using the AD cmdlets? I don't have Exchange in my environment, so I can't test this to be sure, but everything I've read suggests this isn't a good property name to use for storing MAC addresses...
June 20th, 2013 3:12am

Are you sure you can set targetAddress using the AD cmdlets? I don't have Exchange in my environment, so I can't test this to be sure, but everything I've read suggests this isn't a good property name to use for storing MAC addresses...
June 20th, 2013 6:12am

I agree with Mike Laughlin. I'd be concerned about unintended consequences. If you really want to store this in AD, extend the schema and then use the Set-ADComputer or Set-ADObject command to set the new attribute.

Mike

June 20th, 2013 6:34am

We are going through a GroupWise to Exchange migration and we use the targetAddress on user accounts for forwarding into GroupWise for non migrated users.

I've just tried to pull the targetAddress property for a computer and it doesn't return anything, so doesn't appear that it can be used.

Get-ADComputer computer -properties targetaddress

I've listed all the properties for a computer, and targetaddress is not there.

However, I did have some issues setting the addresses, where the script was reading the hash table incorrectly.

Defining the targetaddress first sorted the problem.

$targetaddress = "smtp:$($_.Alias)@domain" (or in your case $targetaddress = $_.targetaddress)

Set-ADUser $_.UserPrincipalName -Add @{targetaddress=$targetaddress}

Still don't think this will work for computer objects.

It would be nice to have the error message to narrow down the issue.

July 2nd, 2013 12:09pm

We are going through a GroupWise to Exchange migration and we use the targetAddress on user accounts for forwarding into GroupWise for non migrated users.

I've just tried to pull the targetAddress property for a computer and it doesn't return anything, so doesn't appear that it can be used.

Get-ADComputer computer -properties targetaddress

I've listed all the properties for a computer, and targetaddress is not there.

However, I did have some issues setting the addresses, where the script was reading the hash table incorrectly.

Defining the targetaddress first sorted the problem.

$targetaddress = "smtp:$($_.Alias)@domain" (or in your case $targetaddress = $_.targetaddress)

Set-ADUser $_.UserPrincipalName -Add @{targetaddress=$targetaddress}

Still don't think this will work for computer objects.

It would be nice to have the error message to narrow down the issue.

• Edited by Newbie Jones Tuesday, July 02, 2013 4:10 PM added a couple of extra bits of info
July 2nd, 2013 4:08pm

This should be the correct answer.  I was wondering why the initial person was trying to add targetAddress to a computer object, instead of the ADUser object.  This response mentions that, and I believe the format he uses for the set-ADUser command should work.
August 19th, 2015 10:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics