PowerPivot cube functions and Excel Timeline slicer

For various reasons (formatting, moving fields around etc.) I have a spreadsheet that uses Cube functions extensively.  Works great.  Filtering with date slicers gives me a look at the summary of expense data over a 5 year period by year and month.  Just what I want with one small problem.  The user can select non-contiguous months such as Jan, Feb, Apr, Jun for example.  This is causing me no end of problem in another section of the spreadsheet.  So I thought I would try the Timeline Slicer in Excel 2013 for the 1<sup>st</sup> time.  Does just what I expected, returns data with a start-date / end-date structure with no breaks in between.  All good.  So I plug a timeline slicer in my worksheet, change the slicer references in the cube functions and wham and wait for it.  10 12 seconds to recalculate the worksheet that used to recalc in less than a second with the regular slicers.  Ok, I do have a bunch of data here but nothing that should slow Excel down that much.  So I test the timeline slicer on a PowerPivot of the same data in a similar structure and boom no delay.  Maybe slightly faster than the Cube functions with the Year \ Month slicers.  One more thing to try convert that PowerPivot table to formulas.  Nope, right back to the 10 12 second recalc delay.  Truly perplexing.  Im now faced with the dilemma of struggling on to fix my other issues or make the users suffer through this frustrating delay.

So, the whole point of this is to ask if you have seen this behavior, heard of any rumor about this or am I just having a bad day.  I have looked extensively on the net for any related issue and have found nothing.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

July 20th, 2015 6:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics