Post upgrade to SP1 x64, the GbE card won't get a dynamic IP
I upgraded my Windows 7 Home to SP1 on a Toshiba A655-11T. Following that, on every restart the onboard GbE, though enabled, won't get a new IP from a DHCP server. Without doing anything with the adapter, renewing the wifi IP from the same DHCP server, causes the GbE NIC to get a new IP too. This allows me to disconnect the wifi and keep on working on the GbE. Any ideas what did Windows 7 SP1 introduce to break the DHCP client functionality? Can this be fixed? Thanks.
March 24th, 2011 7:03am

Any chance you have Apple's "Bonjour service" installed, as a result of iTunes or similar? Though it is not specific to SP1 there have been known DHCP issues with Vista and Win7 due to timing of start up services conflicting with Bonjour and causing DHCP requests to fail. The timing may have changed with SP1. If installed try disabling or un-installing.Rob Williams
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 24th, 2011 11:11pm

Thanks Rob. I tested that just now and didn't help. The DHCP client works only after it needs to renew the wifi NIC IP. BTW, both NICs, the wifi and GbE, are hooked up to the same router. Thanks.
March 25th, 2011 12:26am

Is Bonjour installed? The issue to which I was referring is apparently timing of services starting. Wired and wireless would be making DHCP requests at a different time. If Bonjour is installed I would be tempted to install. It will re-install with the first iTunes update anyway. Just 'food for thought', it is a somewhat common problem.Rob Williams
March 25th, 2011 12:39am

Thanks. It is installed, I tested by disabling its service and restarting the PC with it shut off.
March 25th, 2011 1:02am

Hi igald, Thanks for posting here. You should upgrade the latest service pack 1 compatible driver software for wire NIC first , this can be got form Toshiba or NIC factory website. After that please check the startup setting of “ DHCP client “ service ,make sure it had been set to " automatic “ and correctly started when this issue occurred . You should also post this issue to Windows 7 forum so that can get the most qualified pool of respondents. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading t
March 25th, 2011 10:24am

Thank Tiger Li. I tried upgrading to the latest Realtek drivers, but it looks the same. I will post the same question in the next door forums. Thanks for the help.
March 26th, 2011 8:51am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics