Post-deletion Azure Server Availability time?

I created an Azure Server, then deleted it. A few minutes later I wanted to use the same name in a new Azure Sql DB but was informed that the name was in use.  As our server names are unlikely to be used by others does this situation mean I simply did not wait long enough for the system to "cleanse itself" of does it mean that "residual elements" are still somewhere in Azure?

TIA,

edm2

August 28th, 2015 7:27pm

Sorry it doesn't make much sense. You created an Azure server. What server? I assume you are talking about Azure SQL Server, right? Regarding db name, there's no such thing as name in use by other clients. The instance is yours and you can use any name you want. Probably the Db is still there so just connect to the instance using SQL Management and delete the old db.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2015 8:01pm

Sorry it doesn't make much sense. You created an Azure server. What server? I assume you are talking about Azure SQL Server, right? Regarding db name, there's no such thing as name in use by other clients. The instance is yours and you can use any name you want. Probably the Db is still there so just connect to the instance using SQL Management and delete the old db.

August 28th, 2015 8:02pm

Sorry for not being clear. I created an Azure SQL Database. The definition asks me for a server name. That's what I'm referring to. I deleted the Azure SQL database (server) from Azure and then tried to create another Azure SQL DB with the same name. That's when I was informed the (server) name is still in use. (I am not referring to a database name -- it seems that the term "Azure SQL Database" is open to confusion. Does it refer to an actual database server (I believe so) or to a database on such a server. I think the former)

edm2

August 28th, 2015 8:09pm

Can you see if the server stills shows up in the list when creating a new database? You can have several databases in one server. If the server is still there you can choose to use this server or to create a new one. 

Preview portal is still a bit messy around these names. The old portal you won't even let you choose the server name tho.

August 28th, 2015 9:24pm

Can you see if the server stills shows up in the list when creating a new database? You can have several databases in one server. If the server is still there you can choose to use this server or to create a new one. 

Preview portal is still a bit messy around these names. The old portal you won't even let you choose the server name tho.

August 28th, 2015 9:25pm

August 29th, 2015 12:00am

August 29th, 2015 1:23am

• Edited by Bruno N. L. Faria Saturday, August 29, 2015 1:31 AM
  • Marked as answer by edm2 8 hours 52 minutes ago

• Edited by Bruno N. L. Faria Saturday, August 29, 2015 1:31 AM
  • Marked as answer by edm2 Sunday, September 06, 2015 10:13 PM

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics