Possible to assign DHCP scope within a superscope based on Class ID or some other unique client value other than MAC address?
I've got two groups of computers running on the same LAN, but want different subnet address assignments for each group.I know I'd need to configure a superscope containing the two different subnet scopes, but is there a way I can use a class ID to determine which scope each machine should belong to within the superscope? Or is there another way to segregate the machines among the two scopes without resorting to reservations based on MAC address?Thanks!
May 15th, 2008 9:06pm

Hello Joe, Microsoft DHCP server is a total RFC compatible DHCP implementation, so the classid is only used to assign user or vendor specific DHCP options to client. In the other word, it is not related with DHCP address lease. The DHCP address client will get is depended on the subnet your client resides and the DHCP scope configuration in your DHCP server.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 16th, 2008 1:24pm

Hi Miles,Thanks for the answer, but it isn't quite what I'm looking for.Using a superscope, two separate and distinct subnet scopes can be assigned on the same broadcast domain with the same DHCP server. In other words, I can have 2 subnets, 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 and 172.16.1.0/255.255.255.0, on the same broadcast domain and these two different subnets can be assigned by the same DHCP server.What I would like to do is to choose which computers get assigned to the 192.168.1.0 network and which computers get assigned to the 172.16.1.0 network based on some kind of client setting other than MAC address. I know I stated Class ID previously, but it's not a requirement for me to use Class ID to determine which scope. Even a wildcard MAC address as the attribute would be fine, but I can't use uniquely specified MAC addresses to determine the subnet scope.
May 16th, 2008 7:43pm

Hello Joe, So you want to distinguish groups of computers in order to make then get different logical network IP addresses. Yes, ClassID can't be used to achieve it. As far as I know, it can't be accomplished for computers in a broadcast domain because DHCP broadcasts the communications. You may separate the computers into 2 broadcast domains and configure the DHCP reply agent to the DHCP server that holds the super scope.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 6th, 2008 11:21am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics