Port VMWare Open Suse image to Hyperv

I am in the process of restructuring our small MIS department.  In the past there was an over emphasis on Linux servers (physical & virtual) and VMWare.  Support for these servers have cost us much in time, money, and resources.

While I would like to eliminate the physical Linux servers from our environment, the problem I have is that two of our important business applications run on separate Open Suse machines (physical) running VMWare virtual machines running Open Suse OS.   These applications will be replaced with Widows based products in about 8 months.

Until thin, is there a conversion process for VMWare images, that will enable me to port the VMWare machines to the Hyperv server, thus eliminating the physical machines?  If so please direct me to where I might obtain the tools/documented processes for this migration.

October 13th, 2009 3:02pm

Well, maybe this free tool will be helpful for you: http://www.starwindsoftware.com/converter
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 20th, 2009 1:38am

Yes, Microsoft provides integration components and technical support for customers running select Linux distributions as guest operating systems within Hyper-V. Linux integration components are now available for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, 11, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.2, 5.3, and 5.4. These integration components enable Linux to take advantage of the VSP/VSC architecture and provide improved performance. Linux Integration components are available for immediate download from the Microsoft Download Center.

Do you have SCVMM installed in your environment?

January 8th, 2010 5:43am

Suse 10 will only work on Hyper-V 2008 R2 & below.

On Hyper-V 2012 R2 there is no chance to get Suse 10 working (as yet)

And to move OpenSuse 11 from ESXi to Hyper-V 2012 is just a nightmare (no matter what I cchange, can not find / root to carry on booting)

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 27th, 2013 12:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics