Port Query
hi guys, just downloaded the portqry tool from MS site. tried to check port 3389 using this command: portqry -local -l logfile.txt -v. Output is port 3389 is "listening". So it means that port 3389 is open for local connection. But does it mean also that the port is listening for remote connections? or how to use portqry to check for ports that is listening for remote connections? thanks.
January 31st, 2011 10:04pm

Hi Snopjoy i believe (correct me if i'm wrong) port 3389 is for RDP, so yes it is definately listening for remote conections aswell, but if you have a firewall configured to drop incoming connection reuquests on port 3389 then you'll be okay, BUT if the firewall does not block incoming connections from the internet for example / or is turned of, someone out there can easily RDP to your machine if 3389 is listening. To answer your 2nd question i think getting a list of port numbers and what they are used for and also finding out the security settings on your firewall will help you figure out how to deal with ports and which ones are listenin for remote conections, which ones can be a threat if left open e.t.c :) hope this was of some help tech-nique
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 1st, 2011 4:33am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics