Port Forwarding on Server 2008 did they really take that away?
In Server 2003 in the advanced firewall exceptions (using ICS) when you open a port you also were given the parameters to forward and translate the port eg 3391 -> 3389 192.168.x.x to route a remote desktop externally specifying port 3391 to a pc on the inside of the server using the default port of 3389.I can't find that feature in server 2008.
October 22nd, 2008 4:54pm

I don't use ICS much (well ever). But I know you can do it inside RRAS on server 2008. I think ICS requires a specific IP range internally and I generally found it was too restrictive as to what I could do with ICS so I've just had better results from RRAS. It gives you much more control.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 23rd, 2008 9:39pm

Thanks Chris, I too use RRAS but in my application the internet patch changes from always on to DUN and I have to make it easy to switch back and forth.I think my question is more with the Firewall. In 2003 it didn't seem to matter whether you used ICS or RRAS when you added a port you were given the ability to perform port translation as well as forwarding. I'll check in RRAS if it changes the complexion of the "add a port screen" from no port forwarding to allowing it (On the 2008 server)
October 23rd, 2008 9:51pm

You can configure RRAS to share DUN also. Just create a demand dial interfaces and you'll be able to add that as your public interface in NAT. Port translations are on the properties of the public interface in NAT. Go to the services and ports tab.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 24th, 2008 1:01am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics