Port 3389 not listening

Windows Server 2003R2. Terminal Services is installed and started. Remote Desktop is Enabled. In the Terminal Services Manager session window, RDP-TCP is shown as being in a listening state. But when I run netstat -a, port 3389 does not show up. RD client cannot connect. Telnet or ssh to that port does not connect.

TCP is working fine: I can use logmein to view the server; I can VPN to the server, I can look at SMB shares once the VPN is up. No TCP filtering is active. The Windows Firewall is not active.

How can I get port 3389 going and be able to RDP in?

The registry is still showing port 3389 as the listening port.

I have removed and re-created the RDP-tcp port without any trouble and without success. The properties are set on defaults.

Remote Desktop devices in the device manager show as operating fine.

It used to work fine and just recently (sometime in January) it stopped working. As far as I know, no new software was installed at that time.

I have reviewed a bunch of stuff found in Google but none of it seems to help, so far.

February 11th, 2011 4:06am

Did you perhaps change the port that RDP listens on?
You can double check this in the registry. See here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187623

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 11th, 2011 10:54am

No, it still says 3389 in the registry.
February 24th, 2011 2:10am

Any luck onb your issue? I have checked all the things that you have checked and I am in the same situation. No RDP to that server.
May 2nd, 2011 11:22pm

Hi

Try to unmark the "Enable Remote Desktop on this computer" checkbox to disable the Remote Desktop on the computer.
Restart the server
Mark the "Enable Remote Desktop on this computer" checkbox to enable Remote Desktop on the computer again.

This actions solved this problem for me once.

Daniel

May 15th, 2012 7:24pm

We opened a case with Microsoft on this issue and we determined that it was related to the following driver being disabled:

remote desktop services security filter driver

To check whether this enabled or disabled, open device manager and show hidden devices. We were not able to enable it, so we uninstalled it and rebooted. After rebooting we were able to telnet to the server on port 3389, but we were still not able to connect with remote desktop.

As a last step, we set remote desktop security layer to negotiate. To do this, open the "remote desktop session host configuration" application in administrative tools and edit the properties of rdp-tcp. The setting can be found on the general tab.

Hope this helps someone!

May 22nd, 2012 8:44pm

Perfect answer!  Had the same problem.  You helped me fix it.  Thank you!

October 11th, 2012 6:25am

I had this same issue, and I tried uninstalling the driver that 'itdoug' was speaking of. It didn't resolve the issue and the driver was reinstalled after reboot, so no harm. I had actually found that in my situation, 

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp was missing entirely. I exported the key from a working 2008 R2 installation and port 3389 immediately opened and accepted RD connections. I'm guessing that registry key is responsible for binding Remote Desktop to TCPIP. 

July 2nd, 2013 3:23pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics