Poor performance with Outlook, BCM 2007 and Windows server 2003 - improves after server reboot
We have a 2003 Windows server r2 with dual processors and 6 gig ram serving a small office of 3 people. When laptops attempt to use BCM its fine for a day or 2 and then response slows dn to a crawl and can lock up. Only after a reboot of the server do we see performance increases. There are no malware or virus problems and maintenance of the clients yields no improvement. The only processes showing any resource hogging are SQL.exe, store.exe (memory) and edgetransport.exe (memory). We've tried changing the polling interval and memory caps, but doesnt help... Any suggestions ?
February 7th, 2011 1:33pm

Hello, do you use SP2 and all latest updates for the server and also all available updates for SQL and Business Contact manager? Is the server domain controller or workgroup machine? Any errors in the event viewer when it occurs? As you talk only about 3 executables which all require more RAM when running, how do you realize it on the clients exactly? Does it result in connectivity problems between client and server? Then this can also belong to DNS configuration, please post an unedited ipconfig /all from the server and a problem client so we can exclude this.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 7th, 2011 3:49pm

Have you set Maximum RAM in your SQL instance? Have you tried simply restarting SQL to see if that frees up resources. On one 2008 unit our SQL will ramp up RAM usage to approx 95-97% of existing physical RAM and release only when other programs demand RAM... Restarting SQL service frees up approx. 50% of the RAM (until SQL decides it wants it back). Since our unit is intended as a SQL only unit, this is less concern to us, but you look to be running other things.
February 8th, 2011 5:31pm

Looks like edgetransport.exe will eat the RAM as well.... Good guidelines on the RAM demanded and what you can do in the settings: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrgeneral/thread/dd069a6a-a773-47f2-82c3-f81f49120f6c/
February 14th, 2011 11:33am

Thank you for your help. I took a few days to apply all available updates to both the server and clients. No change in perf. There are no errors reported in the event viewer, only dozens of informational messages. The clients only seem to have problems within Outlook. While composing an email, the systems will sit with an hourglass pointer on the screen (for several minutes - like 10 ). We don't see any trouble with connectivity.
February 15th, 2011 9:53am

Haven't tried restarting SQL only. I will look at this since it will at least nail down our problem area some. Thanks
February 15th, 2011 9:55am

Dear Customer, Based on my research, I would suggest we perform the following steps to resolve this issue: 1. Let's perform a Clean Boot. A Clean Boot will allow us to isolate any device drivers or programs that are loading at startup that may be causing a conflict with other device drivers or programs that are installed in your computer. A. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) and click OK. B. Select "Selective Startup" and remove the check box for "Load Startup Items". C. On the "Services" tab, click Enable All. D. Check "Hide all Microsoft Services", click Disable All and clear "Hide all Microsoft Services". E. Click the OK button and then Click Yes to restart your computer. 2. Disable all antivirus applications. If you have any questions, please feel free let me know. Hope this helps. Sincerely, Tom ZhangTom Zhang MSFT
February 20th, 2011 2:14am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics