Please help: Add route rule for second IP to Virtual PC within Server 2008 Web Edition
Hi Everyone, I'm about to pull all my hair out. And i would realy like some help on my problem. I have a Server 2008 Web edition with a NIC that has 2 ip adressen from my datacenter. Let's say IP A and IP B. In this 2008 Server i am running a Virtual PC with 2003 server on it to host old stuff i don't want to migrate. The 2008 Server also hostes websites on IP A. I would like all traffic comming in on the server on IP B to route to the virtual PC. I'm not able to give the Virtual PC the public IP address B directly because the datacenter will not let the MAC adres of the VPC thrue. So Server 2008 must receive all traffic and route all traffic comming in on IP B to the internal addres 192.168.0.2 off the VPC. I have a LoopBack Adapter set up on the host so host and VPC can ping eachother. Also the VPC has internet connection. I have tried using "Route add" commands but this is new to me and i am not sure if this will work (2008 web edition does not allow to install the role "Routing and remote access") Does anyone know if the "route add" command will work for me? Thanx in advance. Bas van Nuland rovennl@gmail.com basvannuland@hotmail.com 0031-628768721 Please help :)
June 3rd, 2011 8:59am

I don't believe you can do this, at least not with routing. You want all trafic to be received and then forwarded, routing does not do this. Routing requires that the packet be destined for the end device, and adding a route command will basically tell the packet how to get there. Perhaps to explain better, when you send a packet to 123.123.123.123 the local routing device either passes it on to a local port using that subnet or sends it to the default gateway. The next routing device does the same. A route command simply tells the packet the next hop, other than the the default gateway, in the path to the destination. It does not take a packet that has reached the destination address and then forward it to another. You may be able to achieve this with IIS with host headers or other web developer "tricks" but I am of little help with that as I am not a "web guy".Rob Williams
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 5th, 2011 10:22am

Hi Bas, Thanks for posting here. If the both addresses that datacenter assigns to you are internet routable addresses then routing should not be applied in this scenario. A workaround is that you should deploy other two VMs : VM1: migrate web service where holding on your Server 2008 Web edition host to this VM. VM2: VM which holding you old 2003 application VM3: directly use physic NIC with two internet addresses and add a virtual Internal Network NIC for connecting with other VMs. Install RRAS and configure NAT on it , should also configure port forwarder for publishing the web service to internet VM1(web service)------------------------------| VM3(RRAS)------internet VM2(old 2003 application server)--------------| Networking in Windows Virtual PC http://blogs.technet.com/b/windows_vpc/archive/2009/12/07/networking-in-windows-virtual-pc.aspx Enable and Configure NAT http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd469812(WS.10).aspx Configuring Access to Services Behind a Network Address Translator (NAT) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb878046.aspx Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 6th, 2011 4:03am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics