Please Help: Server Problems
Hello,Thank you for taking the time to read this.I'm in the middle of a gigantic network overhaul, perhaps you can give me some insight on this issue in the meantime.I've been having problems with two of our servers with identical behaviours. Now I believe I've narrowed it down, but I'm looking for your thoughts.First I can tell you that its 100% for sure not hardware related, and I know that for a fact. I'll describe each server, the issue and what I believe it is.Webserver:Server 2003 running IIS, SQL and MySQL lite. This server primarily runs a couple low bandwidth sites and some email for old clients, it doesnt run much traffic and the machine is certainly overkill for its purpose. The database holds small > 10MB databases for discussion forums. Now the problem is, every single day around 3-7am the server will become unresponsive on the public nic. At first I thought it was just crashing, then when I set up a second nic to test and realized that wasnt the problem I set up access on the private subnet and realized I can still hit the server and login to it when it becomes unresponsive. To resolve the situation all I have to do is disable and re-enable the nic which is assocaited to the static public IP.Now there appears to be a large number of failed login attempts on the servers SQL database. I didnt set this up, as it was done before my time, but I'm taking the databases off this server and placing them on a new server on the private subnet.The same issue is happening to our content server, tons of failed login attempts but it can be fixed when its unresponsive by logging into it on the private subnet and disabling and re-enabling the public nic on the wav interface. This server also has a SQL 2005 database on it which I'm also moving over this weekend.All in all I'm taking all 7 servers down, installing new servers in the rack and then clustering with the old ones, while moving all databases to a secure private subnet and introducing some strictier security policies/optimizations etc etc. But, what if my theory is wrong? I figured I would see if anyone has any thoughts on this.Keep in mind that I took over this job, there is little to no documentation on anything. So its been a battle.What we are dealing with is mostly webservers, content servers, SQL databaes and exchange. But the problem is only limited to these two servers requiring a reboot daily.No there is nothing really indiciative of anything in the logs.
September 18th, 2009 11:30pm

I seem to have this error in the logs before the nic becomes unresponsive as well Master merge has been paused on c:\system volume information\catalog.wci due to error 3221225529. It will be rescheduled later. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 19th, 2009 12:35am

Hi lushys,Can you please replace the NIC with a new one to test if the issue re-occure?This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
September 26th, 2009 10:43am

Hi,I think I am having a very similar issue. The only difference is that our server seems to be locked up completely. I haven't tried adding a second nic, but I can't access the server through rdp or console connection. But, I have the same events in my event log that you are talking about.I actually found the following article:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;247093This points out that Backup and Antivirus software can conflict with the indexing service.What antivirus are you running? I am using Trend.Thanks,Ben
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 3rd, 2009 3:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics